Mold on tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fjellstorm

Jan 30, 2014
Kassel,Germany
Hello guys,
I bought a tarp and I noticed it had mold on it. Does anyone know how I can get rid of that without damaging the tarps material?
regards
Max

Attachments

• 0BB1CB38-F10C-4058-BFAE-51F8DFA27D79.jpeg
    0BB1CB38-F10C-4058-BFAE-51F8DFA27D79.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Le Loup

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like mildew.
What is the tarp made from ?

Basically bleach will kill the mould's spores, and help remove the stains, but it needs to be used with care. Too much can weaken natural fibres, and remove colour from the fabric. It doesn't need to be strong to kill the mould though. It just needs to be thoroughly done and aired dry.

Vinegar can work too, just make sure you really, really rinse it well afterwards or it can attract insects and mice.

Mildew is basically a problem of storage. Above 67% humidity and the mould will grow. Some fibres, like cotton, just soak up moisture.

Reactions: Reallybigmonkey1

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Direct sunlight kills some milder attacks of mildew. A washing usually does not hurt but if the tarp has some treatment that must be considered. As Toddy said acetic acid works too, one had better use one made from pure alcohol.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As all have said above, but, TBH mould won't survive if the fabric is absolutely dry; using acid or bleach is making sure the spores are destroyed so it is less likely to reoccur if it gets damp again. The real problem is the stain and I have found no way of getting rid of that without potentially damaging the fabric. :(

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have a friend who had to store some of his camping equipment in a slightly damp cellar. The solution was tight plastic bags with some silica-gel bags inside. The drying bags could be recycled by heating them carefully in an oven every now and then.

It would be better to store things in a dry place.

Fjellstorm

Jan 30, 2014
Kassel,Germany
Thank you guys!! You’ve been very helpful., I hope I can get in control of this problem.
first I was very happy getting hold of a tarp like this but the mold thing really turned me off

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
True enough, but thinking on that comment though, we can buy Oxygen bleach for laundry that doesn't take the colour out.
It's called Ace....make sure it's the greeny blue one and not the one for whites though. The white one will take out colour.

Maybe something domestic is the way to go :)

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I recently discovered Cillit Bang black mold remover. Spray it on and let it air dry. It’s like magic!

Mostly the bleach but does not harm the material.

Also a recent convert to Nikwax Solarproof for rejuvenating old nylons wayerproofness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Went through half a dozen here locally available mold removers for household use, all seemed to contain chlorine in some form, some contained sodium hydroxide. Nasty concoctions, some with pH of 12.

I would start with sunshine (if available on the Misty Isles).

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just had a look at the ingredients in the Ace stuff...which is available in every supermarket here.

5-15% Oxygen-Based Bleaching Agents, <5% Anionic Surfactants, Non-Ionic Surfactants, Phosphonates, Perfumes, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE