Mohawk Hunter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
When I picked up the current (May 2011) issue of Tactical Knives a couple of weeks ago I read a piece Steve did called Iron Age Cutters. The subject matter is bushcraft and U.S. made bushcraft knives. Looking at the photos I realized I had somehow completely missed a TOPS knife that I really like the looks of. With it's 5 inch blade of 3/16 1095 steel, micarta handle scales, and a tang extension on which the end surface is flat and perpendicular to the line of the spine, and therefor the tip, it looked like a design that I would really like to carry on trips to the field.

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

The specs taken from the TOPS website

Blade Length:......5.0"
O/A Length:........10"
Cutting Edge:......4 3/4"
Thickness:.........3/16"
Blade Color:.......Black Traction Coating
Handle:............Black Linen Micarta®
Steel:.............1095 High Carbon Alloy RC-58
Sheath:............Kydex With a Rotating Steel Spring Clip
Weight:............9.1oz
Weight.............w/ Sheath: 12.0oz
Mfg................Handcrafted in the USA

The balance point is just to the rear of the first finger, or roughly on the first handle bolt.

IMG_5518.jpg

The knife came with a nice edge.

IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

I've done a little whittling and notching with it and i like how it handles.

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

I like the nice pointy tip a lot.

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

I put it to the test starting fire under very wet conditions about 10 minutes after getting it out of the mailbox. I went down to check out the damage after a series of severe storms had past.We had some high winds and torrential rains pass through the area and I was pretty sure I had heard at least one large tree falling close by. I learned later there were trees down on and in houses, across roads, and on power lines all over town. Some people were without power for over 60 hours. On the way back up the driveway I checked the mail, found the box and headed to the fir pit in the woods out behind the house. Everything I used for tinder and fuel were soaking wet after the storm that came after days of off and on rains.

I started by finding a piece of fatwood up on the side of the ridge.

IMG_5247.jpg

and gathering a lot of dead twigs scattered over the area brought down by the storm.

IMG_5248.jpg

First I split the fatwood into smaller pieces. It was a nice rich piece.

IMG_5251.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg

Then I whittled a pile of shavings for tinder, put them on a couple of wet leaves in the saturated fire pit, sparked them to life with a fire steel, then added some of the smaller pieces and let them catch up.

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

I broke some cardinal rules of fire starting by placing my tinder on wet leaves and using wet fuel off of the ground, as you can see by the steam, but fatwood saves a lot of work when you just want or need to get a fire going... and I had a lot of debris to clean up out of my yard so the little one could run and play without tripping over a LOT of limbs.

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

The knife was really no worse for the wear and abuse. I love how micarta is so durable and cleans up so easily just being washed in a pool of rain water.

IMG_5276.jpg

I was right, I do really like this one a lot. It is a great size, it gives me the controllability I like along with the strength I prefer to have in my field knives. It handles well and so far my only problem with it is that I don't care for belt clips or high-riding knives when I am carrying a pack with a waist belt, so I'll likely make a webbing drop system for it.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
good revue and i know what you mean about micarta the enzo trappers the first i have had with it and its so good,smooth and cleans as you say real easy.

good revue and i know what you mean about micarta the enzo trappers the first i have had with it and its so good,smooth and cleans as you say real easy.

Thanks Johnny, micarta is my favorite handle material due to ease of maintenance and lack of environmental sensitivities.

fantastic review mate, looks like a real good knife.

Thanks Lee, I have been really pleased with it.

Nice review, it makes a change to see a TOPS knife that looks normal.

Mark

Thanks Mark, actually TOPS makes several "normal" knives, but for some reason they get the least attention. Would it surprise you to know that this one first entered their line about five years ago?

Great review Spiritwalker,looks like it could do a days work. Cheers.

Darren

Thanks Darren, glad you enjoyed the post. It already has now, a few times.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Purchases like this are what happens when a guy who is hung up on durability, and knife studies from a multi-environment survival aspect, spends a few years being corrupted by a bunch of bushcrafters :) .

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE