Modifying the Tempest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As discussed in my [thread=125755]Review[/thread] of the Osprey Tempest 30 backpack, one of my main issues with it was the position of the ladderlok on the shoulder straps, and how it rubbed against my arms when walking.

Well, I bought a couple of ITW nexus ladderloks this week, and along with some dyneema cord, have modified the pack to fix this short fall in the original design.

The basic principle is to move the position of the ladderlok down the body a bit, so that it no longer hits the inside of the arm. I wanted to do this without undoing any stitching, or major modification of the existing pack.

So the simple solution was to cut off the two plastic parts that were there, then, use dyneema cord to position a new ladderlok further down. A picture here will save me thousands of words, so:

backpackmod01_sm.jpg

backpackmod02_sm.jpg

As you an see, this moves the ladder lok much lower down out the way. I've not finalised the length of the dyneema hence why it's over long, and I've not worked out the best knot to use but it's certainly made an instant improvement in the comfort of the pack.

In terms of the ladderlok that was used, the actuall thickness of the two is not that different:

ladderlok02_sm.jpg

But the route it overall bulk once the webbing is threaded on, coupled with the lower position makes the whol setup work better.

If Osprey wanted to make this improvement in their packs out the fatory, they could simple extend the webbing on the padded section of the strap down by 80-100mm, then attach the existing ladderlok.

If anyone has any suggestions of a better way of running the dyneema cord for this setup I am open to ideas, this is just my first attempt, so I'm sure it can be improved upon.

Julia

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Do you have this trouble with all packs? Or judt the ones with short straps?

And no advice without unstiching. Other than send it somewhere and have it properly stiched.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you have this trouble with all packs? Or judt the ones with short straps?

This is the first time I've had trouble with a backpack, and it's also the first pack I've owned with short straps. So, insufficient data to draw proper conclusions.

And no advice without unstiching. Other than send it somewhere and have it properly stiched.

This setup seems to work. Sure it's not pretty, but it works. May need to fettle the dyneema a bit to get the ideal length, and the ideal knot. But the difference immediately is amazing.

Julia

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
How about bridging the gap with webbing? Stitch it onto the ladderloc and attach it to the shoulder straps without any unstitching by using 30mm stainless split rings? Hardcore "keyrings". You would need to stitch a loop into that end of the webbing.
Bet you could find reasonably matching webbing for your pack on ebay.

good luck ! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
How about bridging the gap with webbing? Stitch it onto the ladderloc and attach it to the shoulder straps without any unstitching by using 30mm stainless split rings? Hardcore "keyrings". You would need to stitch a loop into that end of the webbing.
Bet you could find reasonably matching webbing for your pack on ebay.

good luck ! :)

That's not a bad idea, hadn't thought of that. Split ring solves the problem I was having of how to attach to anything to the small loop of webbing that is left after I cut off the old ladderloks. Shall investigate.

Thanks

Julia

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
how about... take a 20mm tri-glide buckle..

cut a diagonal slot across the centre bar - like these repair ladderlocks

Stitch a short length of webbing to the outer bar and attach to the old loop on the shoulder strap using the middle bar, then sew your new ladderlock to the end of the webbing extension at the appropriate length?

For the webbing you could cut off and use the now excess length of the old strap so the only weight gained is 2 tri-glide buckles :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That wouldn't help, the point of my mod is to remove any bulk from the end of the foam strap. Hence the approach I used.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE