Modifying A Swiss Army Knife For Whittling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Per the title, a small PDF file (8 pages) outlining the process of modifying the small blade on a Swiss Army Knife to make it a great tool for wood carving.

Attachments

• Swiss Army Knife Small Blade Modification.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 49

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thank you for the blade modification tutorial.
Now, here I demonstrate an acute ignorance. In the PDF you show the bevel from one side only. Is the grind symmetrical or is this what I would call a right hand blade?

Would you ever advocate an asymmetrical (flat on one side) grind for whittling? We used to use them for grafting apple to get a perfectly flat cut.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thank you for the blade modification tutorial.
Now, here I demonstrate an acute ignorance. In the PDF you show the bevel from one side only. Is the grind symmetrical or is this what I would call a right hand blade?

Would you ever advocate an asymmetrical (flat on one side) grind for whittling? We used to use them for grafting apple to get a perfectly flat cut.
Bevel is the same on both sides.

I've never used a single bevelled blade for carving, well other than a spoon knife or a chisel on larger pieces, so can't really comment

Reactions: Pattree

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Kepis @Danceswithhelicopters

Might someone write to Victorinox with the idea?

I happily write to companies with ideas. I’ve had excellent responses from a couple of them.
Already have last year (23 February 2023), I suggested an Alox Farmer, with the can opener removed and replaced with the small blade, even suggested they could call it the "Alox Bushcrafter", i didn't however mention the Felix scorp mod, I got a reply from Victorinox too - i'll just leave you with that :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE