Modifying a Highlander Forces 55L help and suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

Riven was kind enough to sell me his hardly used Highlander Forces 55L. I had originally intended to use this as my camping rucksack and get myself the new Osprey Farpoint 55L 'Travel' rucksack for a bit of backpacking. However, now that the Highlander has arrived i think it'll be perfect for both uses (saving me a hundred quid).

There is one thing though. I'd love an additional pocket in the main compartment, sitting inside the front face and ideally the full height (minus the bottom divider). I was thinking of just getting a heavy duty dry bag or something similar and just gluing it in.....? Any thoughts?
Any better suggestions?
Know of any services out there for modifying rucksacks?
Anyone done anything similar?

Thanks folks

Ben

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I have used a hot glue gun to do something similar a few years ago.
I bought a sheet of velcro and hot glued it to the inside of the bag (it was a photo rucksack made out of 1000d cordura). I had an Ortlieb water carrier that I wanted to use as a full on waterproof section to the bag so I hotglued the other section of velcro to this and then compressed the two sections of velcro together. If you have enough area of velcro it does provide a terrific amount of grip and can support a lot of movement and weight.

However! Be warned, I didn't try the glue on the Ortlieb first and when I put the first gloop on the material it started to melt with the heat (worked fine when I applied the glue to the velcro first though). This could be tacked in place with some sparse stitching at the main stress points. I also used this method successfully on a SA assault vest mod.

It won't win any prizes for professionalism, but it's pretty easy to do.
sack

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
make a panel and fit velco on the edges,...then fit the "female" velcro in the pack so the panel acts as a divider rather than a fully fitted new section,.

that way, as your load evolves (everyones does i,m certain) you could pull out the divider and save investing in a new pack,..

simerlar to a modular camera carry system,...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
another lateral thought:

how about addin 2 Q/R clips (up to 6-8)to the top and bottom and sides of the pouch so you can clip it in to the rucksack as a semi-permanent pouch (like a PLCE side pouch).
then you have the advantage that you can easily put in or remove the pouch as and when you want. if you let the Q/R clips be adjustable(with webbing tape) you could also use the pouch as an internal compression pocket (to compress a tent/sleeping bag/clothes).
oh...might try it myself now! lol

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
lol, sorry...

Q/R clips (Quick release) "fastex" is a brand name.
like this:
bucklesvc1.jpg

PLCE (Personal Load Carrying Equipment) is the standard issue webbing/rucksack for the British army.
(the side pouch is the pouch on the left) the clips/straps allow it to be attached to the side of the British Army rucksack "Bergen" shown below)
6121c339.jpg

images

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE