Modified swedish army anorak

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Take one old swedish army anorak in cotton.
Add textile dye and some para cord, elastic cord and some cord adjusters. What do you get?

A very good cold weather wind blocker of course!

Anorak101.jpg

Anorak102.jpg

Anorak103.jpg

Anorak104.jpg

Anorak105.jpg

I dyed it brown, replaced the hood adjustment strap with para, also fitted a metal wire to help shape the hood and sewed on some neck adjustments.

Why so long para cord in the front? So I can hang a neck knife from there...

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Very nice. I have a 1942 version that I have dyed green with dye, brown with 400 teabags and some black with boot polish ... it didnt dye very dark so I have set about waxing it ... I just have to finish the arms and it will be ready. I will try to post a picture later.

I have another jacket the same style as yours (slightly different than the 1942 version, and slightly worse in my opinion) and I want to dye it a retro Mountain Rescue orange ... it definitely needs a hood adjuster and velcro cuffs.

Very nice, and thanks for the photo's ... very inspirational

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Wow, this looks like a great piece of kit!
Congratulations to this superb work!

Can anybody tell me a source where I can buy a simliar one (white would also be ok, I´ll try to dye it my own).......online shops prefered (because I´m from Austria).

thx and cheers
Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx twodogs!

Only can open the link with the buttoned one.
On the other link, I always get this message:

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

It might sounds funny, but which size do you wear your smock?
my normal size is medium (sometimes small) - do I need a smock in large now because it should goes over all my other clothing or should I buy one in medium? What is better?

cheers
Mike

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I have one of these and they can be a bit weird. They get let down in the arms, they come up a bit short to say the least! If you go for a larger size than normal then you can wear bulky layers underneath and hopefully you won't get short sleeves. I know soldiers tend to run around with small arms, but I think that is supposed to mean their weapon systems not that they have stunted arms!

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Yes, the arms tend to be short and a bit narrow - get the biggest one you can if you are going to wear some layers under. Cold weather clothing should be loose fitting.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thanks for the info!

I´m interesting in wearing it in spring and summer and also autumn as a bushcraft coat when I´m walking around in the bush.
But when I get a big sized one - I also can make it smaller but leave the arms long.

Hope to find some smock like yours soon to buy.

cheers
Mike

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
The fabric is quite sturdy and heavy, my anorak weighs in at 1009 gram so it's not light weight. But it stands up to abuse quite well.

The dimensions on mine (size 2) are
breast width 72cm (28,3 inches)
back length 88cm (34,6i)
neck to arm cuff 92cm (36,2i)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
im a 40 inch chest and i got a large one, i have left it baggy but adjusted the fit of the bottom hem so its gathered in a bit but it fits great across the chest and shoulders, especially with a jumper and fleece on. the sleeves are just ok, im thinking of sewing on some denison smock cuffs though

wonder why you cant see the other one, i cant see anything in the listing thats dodgy apart from its listed under World War Two - do you have restrictions on that subject in Austria? thats where i got mine from - try searching by item number 390165834685

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hej Kvarnträsk!

When you say breast width, do you mean from side seam to side seam? Which would imply that the width would be 144 cm?

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
wonder why you cant see the other one, i cant see anything in the listing thats dodgy apart from its listed under World War Two - do you have restrictions on that subject in Austria? thats where i got mine from - try searching by item number 390165834685

Hi Ed!

thanks for information.....tried a lot to open the page but doesn´t work until now. have tried to get the page via the item number at eb**.com/.at /.co.uk no chance!
Don´t really know why evilbay don´t let me on the page - I always come to the saftey center and the message I´ve written above!

It´s ok - I´m looking for another available one any where else - don´t give up my search ;)

cheers
Mike

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Hi Ed!

thanks for information.....tried a lot to open the page but doesn´t work until now. have tried to get the page via the item number at eb**.com/.at /.co.uk no chance!
Don´t really know why evilbay don´t let me on the page - I always come to the saftey center and the message I´ve written above!

It´s ok - I´m looking for another available one any where else - don´t give up my search ;)

cheers
Mike

Mail order one from raeer.com, they'll sort you out. Contact the Hildesheim shop, the Hannover one is rubbish!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx!
already send a mail to some stores in UK and also to raeer - hope I can get anywhere one.
The raeer one is with a buttonline over the whole front which I dont like - hope they can get a "normal" one.

cheers
Mike

PS: It´s really hard to get one here in Austria! The shops I´ve found in the UK dont ship abroad - and the one I´ve found who did has shipping costs higher than the smock itself!!!

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
It's a shame you're not closer to raeer, it is an excellent shop. They have more stuff than what is on the website, give them a call.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Today I managed to find another unissued swedish smock/anorak in a size that's plenty enough for me - C60 :)
It's the model I prefer, with the folded pocket flaps, epaulettes and big white plastic buttons.
It's the first C60 I've ever seen, C54 is the biggest in c-sizes i've seen before and those I find a bit to small.

Well, the measurements for my C60;
61.4" (156 cm) around at armpits
59.8" (152 cm) around at waist
64.6" (164 cm) around at hem
35.8" (91 cm) length from top of neck center
38.5" (98 cm) sleeve length from center back

This one will be dyed green I think and will get the same hood adjustments as my brown one, and it will also share the same buttoned coyote fur ruff I have for that one...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE