Modified SAK

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have had this little SAK for a while and not finding much use for it. So it's been resting in a drawer...

I recently modified it to turn into something a little more useful for whittling.

It had one blade and two not particularly useful bits... All I did was to sharpen those two bits and I now have 3 cutting blades, one a 1/4" chisel and the other a 1/2" curved blade. I left the awl as is was.

DSCF5022.jpg

DSCF5020.jpg

DSCF5021.jpg

Mind you, I haven't used it in anger yet, but I am sure I've made it more versatile, a bit more like a Flexcut pocket jack!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Does that knife also have an awl? If not then I hate to tell you, but I've been colecting SAK's for about 10 years now, I haven't seen that model before, it may be a rarer model.

Dave

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Does that knife also have an awl? If not then I hate to tell you, but I've been colecting SAK's for about 10 years now, I haven't seen that model before, it may be a rarer model.

Dave

Yes, Dave, it does have an awl, I can't remember when or where my wife got it for me, as a Xmas pressy.

I'spose my mods have now ruined a nice expensive rarity?? :rolleyes: Doh... Never mind, I'll get used to it!!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If it has an awl, it's not rare it's the old pattern Soldier. I'll be interested to hear how your mods work out.

Dave

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Nice job but sacriledge too. I have a soldier and apart from the Farmer (with added wood saw) find it the most useful pocketknife ever. I use all the tools regularly (except the wire stripper).

Always nice to see SAK mods

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Indeed Hoodoo! Have you had a chance to try it on a wood carving yet?

Many times. It works perfectly. It's flat ground, no secondary bevel. Penetrates deep and cuts clean. One of the problems with SAKs though, is when you cut the little hook part off, depending on how much you cut, the blade may drop down so far the skew will hit the backspring. Also, the nail nick will go too far down for use. So you have to be careful about cutting the hook part off.

Another good mod for carving is the small blade which can be made more pointy. Same for the large blade if you want. So in one lil' ol' SAK, you can have two carving blades, a skew chisel and a straight chisel ( or if you round the corners on the chisel, you can have a bull chisel which can also be very useful).

tinkers1b.jpg

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com

Dave

this used to be the original SAK issued to army/airforce (all personnell, including officers). i got one too when i had to do my service.

nowadays it is another model.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Its a Soldier or more unlikely a Pioneer without keyring That is all about having the year stamped on the blade

Great Mod and I have just the knife to do it on and I think I know someone who can make it a bit special IE sharp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE