Modified Bread Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
Much to the chagrin of my wife, I ordered 10 surplus Swiss Bread Bags a few months ago. Since then they've sat in a box not getting used because when I got them I found out the front flap was a very stiff vinyl that was meant to wrap around the back of the bag and attatch. Not a horrible idea, but the stiffness of the vinyl made opening the bag difficult.
The vinyl front flap.
SwissSatchel001.jpg

The vinyl kept me from being able to use the clasp at the top of the inside of the bag because the vinyl caused the top of the bag to bend back over itself (you would have to see it in person to really understand).

Yesterday I sat down and stared at one of these bags until I decided to do something about it. I cut the front vinyl off of a bag, then cut the back panel off of another bag and sewed it to the front of the other bag. This gave it a good canvas front flap. I then took the hook and eye fastener from the cut up bag and used it to hold the flap down.

The finished product.
SwissSatchel002.jpg

SwissSatchel005.jpg

SwissSatchel004.jpg

SwissSatchel003.jpg

SwissSatchel006.jpg

In one day this has become my favorite bag. My wife calls it a man purse, I call it a satchel...Indiana Jones had one.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Looks like an excellent mod. Nothing worse than buying a load of stuff and feeling disappointed with it so well done for sorting it out and making it useful!

What does RME stand for?

Magentus

pwb

Good job AP :) , looks a fine and handy bag .

Always liked the look of Indi type canvas bags , quite fancy the old 37 pattern respirator cases :cool: .

Cheers,
Pete.

PS .
Have you been doing some quilting , looks like a homemade poncho liner / sleeping bag .

D

dboles

Can you sew the vinyl flap on the back of the other one you cut off and make something of the cannibalized bag.? Nice looking bag by the way I like canvas sacks
Thanks
Dan'l

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE