Model for a birchbark canoe?

I suggest making one without a plan. You dont work by a plan when you make a full scale one...

I was thinking of that too, but I "need" the plan for details, like the bough ad the rear.
I have watched the DVD of Mears several times, when he's is helping to build a canoe.
But there are some details that I can't see on this episode.

I will start with the model and deal with it the best I can, will post some pics when ready.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Don't know how I missed that one :confused: Although I haven't got any model plans, I have a book on the Birch Bark Canoes of America, with fairly detailed drawings of how they are put together. If you want I want send/post drawing and/or copies of some of the models?
Also I have (somewhere :confused: :rolleyes: ) photos in an american magazine of a lot of actual models made by a bloke called Edwin Tappan Adney, same guy who wrote the book. Any good?

Don't know how I missed that one :confused: Although I haven't got any model plans, I have a book on the Birch Bark Canoes of America, with fairly detailed drawings of how they are put together. If you want I want send/post drawing and/or copies of some of the models?
Also I have (somewhere :confused: :rolleyes: ) photos in an american magazine of a lot of actual models made by a bloke called Edwin Tappan Adney, same guy who wrote the book. Any good?

Hi mate,

that would be very nice! Can it be done by email or do you need my postal address?
Thanks again,

Jan

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Hi mate,

that would be very nice! Can it be done by email or do you need my postal address?
Thanks again,

Jan

I can scan a few different open canoe designs and post them here (and/or Email if you prefer) to see which you like and which has the most design details, the details are pretty much interchangable, within reason. That should give you a good idea of what they are like.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm sure this has been tried but I just Googled 'model birchbark canoe' and it came up with 47 pictures. Some look really good. I hope some of them might offer a plan.:D

Hi Fred, yes I have googled before posting here the thread. Some of them are useful. But I am a engineer, used to work with plans and schedules. I know, I know, building a canoe, especially a birchbark one is all done in the mind and imagination but its an old habbit, difficult to do without. Especially for some details a plan would be nice. I make some knives too, and of each of them I make a drawing in colour before starting with it. When the plan is in my head, my hand will make the product as by them self. I have never made a canoe model before, so there isn't a complete picture in my head, if you know what I mean.

All the best,

Penvisser

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Yes I can understand what you mean. I have a friend who builds very detailed working scale models of steam engines. He always says that the detailed plan's the essential thing>;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Funny how different people do different things. For something detailed, yes I would use plans, but I can just as easily build something such as a canoe or paddle or even the knives I make, without plans.

I'll put up some drawing here, I'll try tonight if I can get my hands on the computer!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE