MOD riggin knife: experiences?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I have not had any experience with this knife, but have with the MOD "survival" knife. It chipped too easily, and was not as heavy duty as they claimed, so be cafeful.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Matt. I've never used that particular 'Rigging knife,' but to give some background there was a time when ships stores came aboard, coils of rope would often include a 'Freebie' rigging knife in the coil. When rolls of gland packing came aboard for the down below gang (engineers) a free 'packing knife would be included. ( different profile and longer blade)They were as described..basic carbon steel with two hardwood scales rivetted on to make a serviceable but fairly crude tool. You'll never break it and if you wanted to tart it up with a different handle it could be made more glamourous and will outlast you. The old blades used to keep an easily sharpened, fearsome edge. There are knives at three times the price that are no better. The Green River knife, which is a slightly better finished knife by the same company is..what's the term? my EDC, and has been (same knife for 30 odd years.)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Matt I have used this knife when I was in the military, I spent time attached to the maritime unit of the army and was issued with one, they referred to them as deck knives.

I kept mine as the steel in them are excellent, I modded mine by putting a curved tip instead of one straight edge, the handle I put on two slabs of wood on the existing handle and re-profiled.

all in all not a bad blade

D:swordfigh

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Hi Matt, I have an older version of this knife, the only difference being the handle on mine is more rectangular in shape. I have used it mainly for clearing trails and undergrowth etc. The knife is not very heavy but it does take a good edge, and even though the blade is quite thin, it makes chopping through wispy branches a breeze. Im not sure how it would cope with heavy duty camp work, as it is about a third of the width of my MOD survival knife (which has been heavily abused and never chipped)

Shankly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE