MOD knife

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have one, and I love it. :)

I took the plunge and aquired one and I did because it fits my needs/wants perfectly. A solid, tough and unbreakable quality knife made in Britain! It needs a proper sharpen/light reprofile on the edge but after that it can get razor sharp and holds an edge pretty well. I found heat shrink tubing the handle made it more comfy and in use it's a great chopper/splitter and still usable to carve out notchs and finer stuff (I think it's 5mm thick, but then so are some 'bushcraft' knives and not alot of people complain there!).

The sheath is pretty decent but left handed.. so kind of odd. The blade also doesn't have much of a tip so any stabby work might not be possible, but other than that I really like it. I also removed that black coating from the blade, and it now looks much better imo. I'd say go for it! if you don't like it you could modify it or even sell it on.

DSCF3179.jpg

This is an edited picture of mine, showing the possible mods I might do (although I may get another to do this) if you felt inspired to take ona project. :)

custommodknfie.jpg

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
I've got one.
The sheath is crap, which was a fine excuse to make one. :)
I needed to round of the handle and sand it to suite my hands.
The handle is good for a someone with large hands or wearing gloves.
The blade is around 5-6mm thick and would crowbar a landrover out of a gully.
But this baby can chop! And holds it's edge reasonably.
However, it is not the blade to shave with.
I found one for under £30. Cheap enough that you don't mind using it.
It is a good heavy duty tool that will do a range of jobs - which is why the army uses it. Perhaps overkill for peacetime. :)
I would recommend backing it up with a folder or Mora for fine work.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Get one and then send it to Longstrider on BB for him to put and edge on it as the edge it comes with is useless. Without the the edge being re done they are crap knives, with the edge done they are good solid work horses

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They're absolutely useless pieces of junk. If you come across one you must send it to me imediately so I can dispose of it for you. :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
This is the one i got from Paullyfuzz a while ago. Just re-shaped the handle to make it more user friendly, next job is to epoxy fill the rivet holes and then oil the wood. This had been to Longstrider for sharpening and is pretty amazing. I have battoned all sorts and will still slice paper with ease.
DSC_0110.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I could be completely wrong here, but I think that the Becker BK2 Campanion is based on this original design. They are a lot more money of course (here's one at Heinnie's: http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/BK&T-Knives/BK&T-Campanion-2nd-Gen/p-92-537-5858/), but you get a lot of knife for your money. Probably a bit tactical for a lot of folk on here I'd guess, but I managed to pick up one second hand a while back, and I think they're great. I've done rough chopping for spoon carving, separating squirrels' heads from their bodies etc etc!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It isnt a survival knife, it is an Arctic knife, the issue survival knife is the sak hunter, added to with an estwing sportsman axe,

maybe, but it is marketed as a survival knife and clearly it's a tool designed to endure a genuine ammont of abuse. I remember reading an article about it somewhere (not sure where now..) that it was designed 'tipless' so no blade failures would accure when cutting open aircraft lids, ammo boxes and oil barrels! :D

I've also seen it called the MOD jungle survival knife, but I don't think it or the MOD parang would be ideal jungle tools with all that weight..

if you use it, you will get blisters,

nah, my hands are tougher than a nuns chastity belt mate ;)

Last edited:

leon-1

It isnt a survival knife, it is an Arctic knife, the issue survival knife is the sak hunter, added to with an estwing sportsman axe,

The Estwing as a survival tool is being / has been phased out (it used to be found in RAF survival packs), the majority of the time now you are more likely to come across a bushknife and a small folding saw, they cause less in the way of serious accidents. The saw cuts more efficiently and is quieter than a hatchet as well as being safer in use. The bushknife can be used for pretty much everything else including splitting of wood and making of feathersticks / fire prep / food prep.

The MoD survival knife was a replacement for the original made by Wilkinson Sword, the Type D Survival knife. They used to be issued to the Royal Engineers more than anyone else. The remit that was given to the company was that it could be used for smashing open ammo tins / crates that it was short enough that it could be used for combat and that it could be used in confined spaces where the carrier may have to hack themselves out of an airframe.

I have both and prefer the Wilkinson Sword version.

Do not expect a knife that cuts with finesse, it was not designed for that, it was more designed along the lines of a hand axe, although the Wilkinson will retain a good edge and you can actually do a hell of a lot more with them than you would expect include carving basic trap triggers. These knives were designed to be bombproof / squaddie proof so they are large and robust beasties.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have 2, one is in my collection, the one I use has a handle sanded to fit my hand, It sits in a Spec Opps Comander knife sheath because it washes if the knife is bloody the leather sheath not so much; I use it for food preparation, when out shooting it cuts branches for hides/better sight lines, choking the blade the tip is sharp enough to split a rabbits skin then the big broad blade just scrapes out the contents of the cavity in one go, I have had the knife for over 25 years, when I bought it there were few copies about, I suspect that a lot of the people who complain about the MOD knife have bought copies sold as genuine as a real one will sharpen to shaving hair sharp though I would draw the line at putting it near my face, it could also be that the quality control was poor so that genuine blades are of variable quality.
All I know is that I and others have good ones and they are great tools...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I also have the cheap web-tex copy, I got it from the gift-it-on thread and it's alright. I have a feeling it's not carbon steel though as it's still shiny..

I knocked off the replacement scales shortly after getting it and gave it a paracord and shrink tubing hand wrap, and changed the shape of the end a little.

MK1.jpg

and after I shaped it, down on the right.. good practice if I ever wanna try something on the real thing. Deffinately get the real thing though!!

zombiekit1.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
maybe, but it is marketed as a survival knife and clearly it's a tool designed to endure a genuine ammont of abuse. I remember reading an article about it somewhere (not sure where now..) that it was designed 'tipless' so no blade failures would accure when cutting open aircraft lids, ammo boxes and oil barrels! :D

I also remember reading a review of it back in the 1980s that said the tip shape was more suited for digging. Seemed logical; after all, it is rather spade shaped.

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
i have a real mcCoy mod knife that after 20mins sharpening on my jap waterstones could shave hair off my arm with ease!! the steel is very good and takes a great edge as well as holding the edge after lots of abuse.I also have two web tex copies that are not as robust being only 4mm thick while the mod is 6mm thick but are still not bad knives and also take a very good edge!! and yes the bk knives are inspired by the john nowill mod survival knife, all in all it is a brilliant piece of no nonsense kit that will not let you down or break the bank!! if i had to choose between a fancy ray mears endorsed woodlore or a mod pig sticker id go for the mod everytime

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE