Mod issue knife id help!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
mate of mine just dropped a knife off for me to sharpen and i was curious as to its use etc,i have googled for the last hour and came up with nothing,its a small sheath knife with wooden scales.

on the blade it sayes: G.IBBERSON 9SHEFFIELD0 LTD 5110-99-437-5839 1996 CROWSFOOT.

ANYONE?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could it be a boat knife fish? There used to be one in a leather pouch with a marlin spike and shackle key

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
They were commonly referred to as a "pusser's dirk" in the Royal Navy. The Seamen had a personal rigging set with a pussers dirk, spike, ***** (small marlin spike), side cutters and a larger knife. The pussers dirk came in a thin leather belt sheath which attached to the belt through some cutouts. They were done away with a number of years ago and rigging sets composed of different tools are drawn from the "Buffer" when needed. I don't know if they're particularly collectable but they were not expensive.

Last edited:

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
That's interesting Scoman

Fish,
There must be tons of them floating about somewhere as they are issued (but personally I've never seen one)
I guess I will have to keep my eyes open so I can add one to my 'not a collection' :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
They changed the knives over about 2003 and the rigging sets had to be drawn from the buffer. I haven't seen one outside of the mob and don't remember any makers marks on them. I do remember swapping them for Mora classics with some Norgies, seems a little unfair on reflection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE