Moccasins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone here make or fancy making me Two pairs of Moccasins?

or can suggest a source for a pair that is fairly minimal.

I know I can have a go at making a pair myself but want to explore this avenue first as I'd like to support a maker.

Reactions: wookii
D

Deleted member 56522

I bought some a while back on ebay. The sheep skin inners fell apart in a typical time for slippers, but the outers are still gong strong. I looked, but it's too long ago for me to find the seller.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

I know I can have a go at making a pair myself but want to explore this avenue first as I'd like to support a maker.
A lot of independent shoe shops sell them. I remember having a pair as slippers many, many years ago.

D

Deleted member 56522

Just had a look and these are not the same as I got, but they look pretty close: Moccasins if you don't want the linings, you could cut it out, or unstitch, cut it out and restitch.

jtkirkland

Dec 11, 2014
Coastal Georgia, United States

Try www.etsy.com. Lots of great things there from independent makers. Many will go full custom for you if you take the time to ask.

Reactions: TeeDee

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol

I've got a pair of Moroccan slippers I've had for years, maybe over 10.
I wore through the original soles and resoled them myself with leather. The uppers are pretty knackered but still intact and working fine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you mean genuine moccasins, not slippers or boat shoe type things, then I think you'd need to speak with someone like Hamish
or Sally in Wales.
(there's something odd about the link on the site I originally posted; this is her youtube channel, and was updated two days ago with a really good article on lime bast)

If you can get to any of the re-enactors markets though, you'd probably find good conversation and resources there for any of the shoemakers.
Making real moccasins needs firstly good materials and secondly skill and a lot of time. They won't be cheap.

Personally I think they're worth it, but I make my own (not even suggesting I make for anyone else, it's just too labour intensive on my sore joints) and I know just how much work it is to do them properly. Buying cheap, you'll get edges that rub, folds that aren't rounded, leather that dries like a brick when it's been wet, etc., all things that end up making them uncomfortable to wear.

There's a leatherworking forum that is full of really good advice, like this thread,

I think they're one of the things that are best made for yourself :) though I'd happily, and probably will have to as I age and ache more, pay a decent craftsman to make for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE