Mmmmm Yummy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The quest for self sufficiency produces some delicious looking things huh?

8190273547_d14b7c0004_c.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

Its horrible looking stuff huh? Just a part of processing raw material rather than a recipe though

This one I think only one member of this forum can guess

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
£40 a litre for Yacon syrup!

Mind you, sweetness without calories, a syrup that causes weight loss.....not surprised!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Wonder what it's like as a sweetener in say, coffee. Like a stronger brown sugar perhaps?

Are you thinking of it as a supplement (or substitute) to the beet sugar?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just an interesting plant really Ian. We set goals each year to extend our self sufficiency - this year was sugars - we took a three pronged approach, honey,sugar beet and Yacon. We didn't know which would work out best for us so took a "try several and see what works" approach. We are happy with the bees and sugar beet - but Yacon is high yield and can be eaten raw (leaves and tubers), so its a flexible thing. We'll know in a few hours how it works out - its thickening as we speak!

8190269467_b04a290efe_c.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its an Esse Ironheart mate - great stove - keeps you warm three times (cutting the wood, splitting the wood and burning the wood :)).

I was thinking of combining the Yacon write up with a bit of "how to cook on a wood stove" tutorial if there is interest

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
This one I think only one member of this forum can guess

If you're still alive after trying it I might have a go.:lmao:

Our plants are still growing as we've yet to have much of a frost, but there should be plenty of tubers to have a go at some syrup this year. I'd be interested to hear what you think it tastes like, is it still dark green?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
More brown now mate - starting to sweeten to the taste - but quite unrefined tasting...treacle / molasses in flavour.

Thanks so much for the starts - I'm glas you spotted the thread - I wanted you to know we didn't waste your kindness!

This was the frost burn on ours

Yacon supports removed by British Red, on Flickr

Got some decent tubers

Yacon Tuber by British Red, on Flickr

Thought it time to "get them in" - bit of a guess mind you - my Oca is still going great guns

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thought it time to "get them in" - bit of a guess mind you - my Oca is still going great guns

Yep, that looks like just the right time to harvest, a harsh frost can harm the tubers. Very good sized plants and tubers from such small sad looking lumps I sent. They do seem to respond well to some good soil.

Don't forget to safely store the small growing tubers near the base of the plants for next year, they'll probably do even better, if you fancy growing them again.

Have you tried cooking them, they tend to stay crunchy for ages.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE