mmmmm fresh roadkill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Is that the whale in Taiwan that explode?

woodsitter said:
It might not count as roadkill, but...

images.php

:rolleyes:

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
It's Taiwan all right.
Imagine that guy on the scooter bike, crusin down the main road, off to meet his new girlfriend parents, everything cool, when suddenly... :yikes: bang splatter!
:rolmao:

Stupid thing by the way, even I knew that this could happen. That’s why over here they cut them up on the beach, slice them open as soon as possible to prevent explosion.
Well I guess another learning experience.

Bob, would you like to carve yourself a piece out of that?
Did anyone ever taste whale? This one was already dead, Greenpeace would't mind I guess.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
RJP said:
As a bushcrafty vet perhaps I can spread some light on this.
If the animal (usually deer) is dead from impact it wouldn't get injected.
If it is seriously injured we might inject the deer or we might shoot it (however many vets who shoot them take them home for the freezer!)
If injecting we would usually use barbiturate which is pretty nasty stuff so to conclude I wouldn't eat it unless:
1) You saw it hit.
2) You can see a bullet hole in the head.

Hope this helps, no vet wants poisoned bushcrafters on his conscience!

Cheers,
RJP. :)
Yep,
Good advice! Lot's of excitement in the press around Cannock Chase recently after an injured deer was finished off with barbiturates and then vanished before the truck arrived to take the corpse away!
Now a pheasant in good condition is another matter!
David

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
RJP said:
As a bushcrafty vet perhaps I can spread some light on this.
If the animal (usually deer) is dead from impact it wouldn't get injected.
If it is seriously injured we might inject the deer or we might shoot it (however many vets who shoot them take them home for the freezer!)
If injecting we would usually use barbiturate which is pretty nasty stuff so to conclude I wouldn't eat it unless:
1) You saw it hit.
2) You can see a bullet hole in the head.

Hope this helps, no vet wants poisoned bushcrafters on his conscience!

Cheers,
RJP. :)

Surely a vet should take a poisoned animal away for safe disposal? It would be irresponsible to leave a carcass loaded w. barbiturate (or whatever) lying around as a hazard to anything that might eat it (including humans).

Personally, I have no problem with eating road kill. There is one lane near where we used to live that provided me with several pheasants and even a partridge or two every season. You don't need to be a pathologist to tell if something's been killed relatively recently and with cool/cold temperatures in winter there is little problem with deterioration (most game dealers hang pheasants for a week or more). If you have any doubts, just leave it.

I remember one occasion, a couple of years ago. I was driving along myself when I saw a cock pheasant hit full square by an oncoming car (dead centre in the radiator grill). The pheasant exploded in a cloud of feathers and I looked back in the rear view mirror to see the carcass lying in the road. As is my wont, I stopped, reversed, picked the 'dead' bird up and dumped it in the footwell on the passenger side of my car. I then continued the remaining few miles journey to my destination.

An hour or so later, I returned to the car to let my two dogs out of the back for a leg-stretch and pee. They seemed very agitated and interested in something. Somehow, the pheasant had recovered. It was crouched down blinking at me under the foot pedals on the driver's side (having crapped all over the floor). I picked it up carefully to see what injury it had sustained, fully intending to wring its neck. Amazingly, the pheasant seemed unharmed: wings and legs were working and apparently unbroken and there was no blood emanating from anywhere. I don't know why I did it, but I gently tossed the bird up into the air to see if it could fly. With a loud clamour of protest, the bugger flew off strongly half a mile across the valley. I watched it there for a few minutes, strutting about on the edge of a field.

Burnt Ash

Mar 2, 2004
nice one burnt ash.i,d have done the same.i hunt myself,but i hate to see cruelty or mishandling,lol after all i think it deserved a break after that dont you? :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE