MLD Trailstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
...Hmm now to get a lighter weight cook system.....

I've just finished putting together another set up for summer use, just finished making a stuff sack for it all to live in

Pot 55g
MYOG pot lid 1g
MYOG pot cosy 9g
Pot support/esbit tray 13g
MYOG ground protector 3g
MYOG windshield 20g
MYOG round bottom cuben stuff sack: 4g

Total of 105g :)

Think I need to find some thinner stuff for the windshield as it's a bit heavy ;-)

Ive got one of these. Very good bit of kit. ideal for just boiling water for rats and brews and weighs very little.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...trail-designs-caldera-keg-f-stove-system-p569

I've been on the look out for one of those for a while, refusing to pay the £66 for an empty beer can and bit of metal :lmao:

Matt

Last edited:

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I've just finished putting together another set up for summer use, just finished making a stuff sack for it all to live in

Pot 55g
MYOG pot lid 1g
MYOG pot cosy 9g
Pot support/esbit tray 13g
MYOG ground protector 3g
MYOG windshield 20g
MYOG round bottom cuben stuff sack: 4g

Total of 105g :)

Think I need to find some thinner stuff for the windshield as it's a bit heavy ;-)

I've been on the look out for one of those for a while, refusing to pay the £66 for an empty beer can and bit of metal :lmao:

Matt
My winter set up is a primus himalaya multi running gas (way to heavy, but reliable), and I've made several of Tetkoba's red bull stoves plus I have an Evernew titanium stove, I'm just wary of committing to meths, especially as I usually cook for 2. I have pot cosy's for my Alpkit pot & I'm now experimenting with freezer bags and cosy's hence my shakedown camp at the end of the month (to Rough Close). I guess my 'hmm' comment was based more on the winter set up and my impression of the Primus Eta Sol / Jetboil set ups that I've seen.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I guess my 'hmm' comment was based more on the winter set up and my impression of the Primus Eta Sol / Jetboil set ups that I've seen.

I've got the Jetboil SolTi which is good as long as you're only using it for boiling water and the temp isn't too low. There's been a few go wrong though, I think it's mostly been when keeping them running for a long time (e.g. cooking a meal) where the fins on the bottom have melted and dripped on to the gas cylinder, which needless to say, could be very dangerous!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I think I'm fully converted to freezer bag cooking, so just boiling the water is fine, I guess I was hoping the Jetboil et al were useful at low temps to, think I'll stick to my Primus multifuel then and put up with the weight for winter and use my Evernew with meths for summer.

Here are some pictures from last weekend from a well known spot just off the M40 between Jnct 12 and Banbury, it was very cold and windy but thankfully dry. The Trailstar was finally christened away from home.
10151158_684693904902658_1244265993_n.jpg

1013986_684690568236325_3251223_n.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never had any probs with my JB at low temps, it's it's really cold I just put the 100g cart inside my clothing or sleeping bag for a few minutes, even putting your hands around the cart when it's burning can help.

Definitely just a water boiler though, mine is one of the older Sol Ti's which I've heard a few horror stories about so I just stick to water now.

Last edited:

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
That sounds encouraging (down to -8 deg C). I'll definitely keep in mind the Jetboil and the Primus, but I think initially I'll look to lighten my load elsewhere and go down the meths route for the next few months until winter comes back. I've read the reviews for both the Jetboil and the Primus ETA and there doesn't seem much in it, any preferences any one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE