Mixed Stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Cor, I haven't done any pioneering since I was in Scouts.

We used to make Monkey Bridges fairly often.
bridge_one.gif

Nice find!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Me neither Stew. Did you do aerial runways as well?? Health & safety would have a fit if it was done now how we did it back then. No-one was ever seriously hurt though-just dislocated fingers or shoulders every now and then, cuts, bruises, rope burns etc. What a buzz though whizzing downhill through the trees at mach 2. You were supposed to have a brakeman but sometimes he'd sort of quit, and laugh as some nervous lad went to his doom (usually over the edge into the river).We used to make them gadget type things pot holders, cooking canopies from pioneering poles, (although we always took the poles to the site and never cut our own). French arrows (another H & S shocker!! :roll: ) They go through tents even :roll: :wink:
Ah, happy memories of being daft and 14. Maybe "happy scouting anecdotes" would be a good thread?? :wink:

MR D :wave:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
mr dazzler said:
Me neither Stew. Did you do aerial runways as well??
Only a few.

mr dazzler said:
French arrows (another H & S shocker!! :roll: ) They go through tents even :roll: :wink:
Do tell more!

mr dazzler said:
Ah, happy memories of being daft and 14. Maybe "happy scouting anecdotes" would be a good thread?? :wink:
One pioneering memory that does stick in my head was an unsuccesful attempt on camp, but at building what I can't remember. Skip (our Scout leader) wanted to start by getting a rope looped over a high tree branch.The tree was unclimbable so he tied a mallet to the end of the rope, then threw it up high.

It got stuck.

We must have had the entire troop hanging off the rope and yanking it about. We tried everything.

Would it move? Would it buggery.

Of course by the time we had decided that it was stuck forever, it was time to finish!
:lol:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well what happened was we all made these French arrers out of thin saplings and playing cards,sharpened the points & launched em with boot laces, and they didnt half fly, right through tents as we discovered when we held a french arrer archery contest to see whose would fly furthest, using the camp site as a firing range. We got really into it-trying different trajecteries, string lengths etc. Luckily no one was "at home" when the missile hit. It was good character (????) building fun-all them lads did well later on in life (apart from one who shot someone dead). :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE