Mistletoe and Wander...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi, well it stopped raining for an hour or two, so we were instructed to get out of mums hair! Walk the dog, oh and get some mistletoe! So off we went, i knew of a tree heavily laden with the stuff, so cut a bunch for us and the neighbours, decided we had not been out long enough, so went to a new permission i have gained to suss out a good camping spot, boy did we find a little beauty, tucked away, loads of deadfall, going to need the chainsaw! But now of course we can't wait to get stuck in and set up!

May have to wait until the new year, although the boys were keen to get back up there this afternoon!

Anyway a couple of pics, to what turned out to be a quality morning with the boys.

Thanks for looking.

Ivan....

Mistletoe 2013 009.jpg Mistletoe 2013 001.jpg

Mistletoe 2013 002.jpg Mistletoe 2013 003.jpg

Mistletoe 2013 004.jpg Mistletoe 2013 005.jpg

Mistletoe 2013 006.jpg Mistletoe 2013 007.jpg

Mistletoe 2013 008.jpg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Looks like a decent day out,I've only found mistletoe growing naturally a couple of times, are there certain trees it grows on over others?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Looks like a decent day out,I've only found mistletoe growing naturally a couple of times, are there certain trees it grows on over others?

Hi H, well around these parts, it is usaully high up in mature Poplar trees, but mostly the host tree is old eating/crab apple

But we do have a mature massive horse chestnut with a huge out of reach bunch, which is rare.

Ivan...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Hi H, well around these parts, it is usaully high up in mature Poplar trees, but mostly the host tree is old eating/crab apple

But we do have a mature massive horse chestnut with a huge out of reach bunch, which is rare.

Ivan...

Ah ok, thanks for that, didn't know that haha! Cheers, Harry

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ivan, if you find a few really ripe mistletoe berries in your travels and could post them to me in a matchbox, I would be very grateful! I'd be happy to cover your costs and time of course. I'd love to introduce some mistletoe round here but most of the stuff I can buy is dried up and manky and I'm not sure the berry seeds would be optimal for transplanting

Don't make a special trip of course - but if you see some in your travels!

Red

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ivan, if you find a few really ripe mistletoe berries in your travels and could post them to me in a matchbox, I would be very grateful! I'd be happy to cover your costs and time of course. I'd love to introduce some mistletoe round here but most of the stuff I can buy is dried up and manky and I'm not sure the berry seeds would be optimal for transplanting

Don't make a special trip of course - but if you see some in your travels!

Red

Hi Red, yes mate no problem, not teaching my granny to suck eggs! I am sre you are aware of haustorium, anyway you can look it up if not.

In an ideal world you could train mistle thrushes to pooh in the designated trees for your germination!

As is widely thought that's the main way of transporting the seeds, also when them and other species of bird eat or peck the berries they get viscin or resin on their beaks and they don't like it so they wipe their beaks side to side to remove it in the gaps or crevass of a tree and it is very tenacious stuff .

Clever old thing nature innit?

Anyway, send me your address by PM pal and i will sort it with pleasure.

Ivan...

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
That new permission looks nice (hint hint). Not sure camping there tonight would be a good idea, weather tomorrow sounds a bit fierce!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
That new permission looks nice (hint hint). Not sure camping there tonight would be a good idea, weather tomorrow sounds a bit fierce!

Hi Al, yeah just seen the forecast, think i might just stay in and be pampered! If i do venture out it will be with pebbles in my pockets!

Ivan...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Ok sorry to hijack the thread a little, but does mistletoe damage the tree much when it starts growing? And do you simply have to like smear the berries onto a wound in the tree to try and encourage it to grow? Cheers

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ok sorry to hijack the thread a little, but does mistletoe damage the tree much when it starts growing? And do you simply have to like smear the berries onto a wound in the tree to try and encourage it to grow? Cheers

It can do, but generally does not kill it - but it can sap its energy. You can lift the bark a little, but really smearing a nice ripe berry on the bark should be all that's required. I've an old Hawthorn in mind :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor

Hi H, we have changed our perception of mistletoe, it was treated as a pest for years, but a lot of wildlife rely on its properties leaves shoots etc, it can kill trees if it becomes heavily infused, but that is rare and unusual, once it becomes properly established like any host it takes moisture and nutrients from the tree, i am far removed from an expert so you may want to do further research!

I personally find the Cuckoo of plants fascinating, and because we only seem to take any notice of it at Christmas, it's like it almost does not exist for the remaining 11 months of the year.

You do not need a wound, as such more a heavy creased bark if you like, it will grow on most species of tree, but seems to prefer certain types, whether that is due to where the birds prefer to perch, pooh and wipe their beaks no one is quite sure.

Hope that helps a little.

Ivan..

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
It can do, but generally does not kill it - but it can sap its energy. You can lift the bark a little, but really smearing a nice ripe berry on the bark should be all that's required. I've an old Hawthorn in mind :)

Ah ok fair enough, so if it were a fruit tree then the crop would be somewhat diminished? Ah ok, might give that a go on a suitable tree then! Cheers for the help, Harry :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE