Mire in Southern Finland

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I had an opportunity for testing out some equipment (mostly clothing) for wet conditions. A mire nearby where I lived was suitable for the task in hand.

1) The terrain.

image.jpg

2) The highway.

image.jpg

3) The obstacles.

image.jpg

4) Poll: Would you drink this: unfiltered, filtered, or not at all?

image.jpg

5) The sign.

image.jpg

6) The inhabitants, all 120 of them. This is one of the smaller flocks I observed.

image.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
7) Someone's house.

image.jpg

8) - 10) Some native plant life.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

11) - 12) There were some strict rules on camping at this area. This one one of the legal camping sites.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Lovely mate! Stunning scenery!

I wouldn't have drunk the water as it wasn't running, through a Bilbank bank and boiled then possibly :).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Would I drink the water? Well, that depends on how thirsty I was, which depends on my preparation. To be in the environment and not know if it was safe to drink suggests a crisis situation.

Would I filter it? If I have the means to do so, then yes. No point in taking risks I don't need to.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like an interesting place, are those board walks the only way to get around?

I'd be happy to drink the water provided it was filterted I guess. Doesn't look any worse than the peaty stuff you get round my way.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
what about the wet weather kit?, what was the obstacle in pic 3 you seemed to have a nice raised wooden walkway to keep your feet nice and dry.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Plenty of bug oil for that trip?

Not at all, actually. The season has not started yet. After it has started, nothing will do!

Looks like an interesting place, are those board walks the only way to get around?
what about the wet weather kit?, what was the obstacle in pic 3 you seemed to have a nice raised wooden walkway to keep your feet nice and dry.

I was referring to the springs which can also be seen on the first photograph. I followed the duckboards only for a while. There are three different kind of terrains inside the mire that might consern you. First, you have the relative dry peat, where you only sink around 10-20 cm per each step. Then you have occasional places where one might loose a boot, if not careful. Thirdly, springs which can be up to 2-3 meters deep.

It was very interesting to test different level of wetness and try to estimate how high boot one would need during a mire crossing. The pair I have now is 40 cm high and I think it is a bit overdo for most of the time. You want to have a boot that is high enough, but not too heavy and cumbersome.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I believe they make these towers out of impregnated utility poles. This particular tower has probably a few hundred meters worth of logs in it.

Watchtower.jpg

Watchtower2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE