minibulldesign

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was reading Magickelly's - Cheap Lightweight Brew Kit thread and checked the link posted by Andy Brierley - http://www.minibulldesign.com/vidminiin3.htm
The little stove looked like a bit of fun so i grabbed a couple of can's of beer and watched the little video.
Now i don't have any sound on my PC so i wasn't 100% sure I'd got everything right but i gave it shot.

I didn't bother marking out or using scissors or a hole punch as i wanted to try a real "hobo" approach so this is just made from 2 beer cans and i used a SAK "Soldier" to cut everything.
I wanted to make this as simply as possible and i didn't want to use tape to hold it together so i just crimped the edges a little and it held fine.
425_2530_1.jpg
425_2533_1.jpg

Fill with meths or in this case Industrial spirits (i use this in my trangia as it burns much cleaner and doesn't soot up the pot's as much).
When it light the flame's only comes from the centre.
425_2538_1.jpg
425_2555_1.jpg

After a few seconds the flames start to come out the holes round the side.
I moved into the shed for these pic's as the flames are hard to see in daylight.
425_2582_1.jpg
425_2599_1.jpg

It's strong and stable enough to support a crusader cup and one fill was more than enough to bring a half full cup to a roaring boil and it was surprisingly quick.
426_2626_1.jpg
426_2621_1.jpg

5 min's turns 2 empty can's into a stove that cost's about as much as it weighs (nothing).
Hardly an essential piece of kit but if you loose your trangia burner it might just save the day.

rb

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
At last a convert! I’ve been having so much fun over the last couple of weeks with these things.

The fuel bottle is a Trangia fuel bottle, expensive but very useful and works very well. One thing I’ve discovered is that you don’t need the tape around the edge to secure the two halfs. The first time you light it, the cans shrink a little and, I think, the inner coating melts and the whole thing bonds together beautifully. Oh, one other thing, if you put the flame holes on the top, like a gas burner, it looks lovely, but doesn’t work. There isn’t enough heat transfer, when the flame is not licking up the side of the can, to maintain temperature within the inner skin so the fuel stops evaporating.

I’ve made a few out of two cans as shown on the web site. Then I progressed to using one can which seems to work a little better. Then on to pressurised cans, which don’t seem to perform significantly better. My last attempt was a pressurised lamp! See sketch attached (hopefully, but I’ve not done this before). It looked great and, at the first burn, started to work, then turned into the second stage of a Saturn V rocket, went through an unplanned change of shape and produced a fire ball which took out the entire population of midges in the Oak tree at the bottom of my garden, which was nice. Not 100% tent safe.

Have fun.

AJB

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
The picture didn't seem to work any clues as to what I did wrong?
I'll try it again on this post!

Don't you just hate computers!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
mojofilter said:
Nice one RB, Ive made about half a dozen coke can stoves over the last year, great fun!
What is that you are using as a fuel bottle, it looks handy?
As Andy says it's a Trangia fuel bottle.
You can see it better in this pic (this one is large version and the one with the home made burner is the smaller version)
They are good kit - i got one after my mate had a bottle of meths burst in his pack.
The lack of fuel wasn't a problem but it destroyed most of his food and soaked his sleeping bag and clothes.
395_9527_1.jpg

To be honest i never understood why anyone would want to make a burner from a can when you can buy a trangia burner that is cheap and safe to use but the advantage with this is that by putting the holes at the side you don't need a separate stand.
I made this little stove when i was kid and just used an empty airgun pellet tin filled with meths and a little piece of asbestos rope as a wick.
It works but it's really slow ,a homemade burner would have really improved it's performance.
396_9633_11.jpg

It's got me thinking about modifying a Trangia burner.
The Trangia burner has the advantage that you can carry fuel in it and it should be possible to drill new holes around the sides and if necessary fill the holes on the top with solder.
397_9799_1.jpg

That would make a light weigh and self contained brew kit that would store in your mug.
Anyone know if spare military trangia burners are available ?

rb

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
The other advantage of these is that you can fit a second in your trangia kettle, so whilst cooking you can be brewing up at the same time.

My next-door neighbour, a mad hill walker, was wild camping in Europe somewhere. The local village about five miles down the mountain didn’t stock gas for his stove, so they had a miserable two weeks with water bread and olives. But they did stock meths, when I showed him these, he kicked himself.

If nothing else they are a skill to tuck away for the right situation.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong with attaching images please let me into the secret!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
rapidboy said:
That would make a light weigh and self contained brew kit that would store in your mug.
Anyone know if spare military trangia burners are available ?
rb

I've thought about this too. The problem is when you drill hiles in the sides of the threaded part of the Trangia the lid will no longer keep the meths in. So it is just a heavier version of the can stove.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
MagiKelly said:
I've thought about this too. The problem is when you drill hiles in the sides of the threaded part of the Trangia the lid will no longer keep the meths in. So it is just a heavier version of the can stove.
Quite right - I hadn't thought that through :eek:

Andy Brierley said:
If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong with attaching images please let me into the secret!
Is the pic hosted on a remote server ?

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
You need to upload it to a server on the net and put an http link to wherever it is hosted at.
There ar eplenty of free places on the net to do this - I'm sure someone can give you a link (Sorry - I only use my own webspace)
Marts

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE