Mini hatchets- would you buy one?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I guess if the profile is right for your task then the smaller head won't reduce it's abilities that much compared to an average 1.25lb axe.

The gransfurs bruks mini is highly popular and is tiny like those linked ones, from what I've heard it is good for light shelter building and general knife chores!

Don't forget tomahawks though mate, they are very useful and with some mild modification you can turn a cold steel trail hawk into a fantastic chopping tool!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep! The head is the length of my hand some people even cut off the hammer poll to make it even lighter.

I personally wouldn't do that as I find the trail hawk a very keen chopper and quite perfect for my needs in the eoods.

The take down option of a tomahawk makes it even less intimidating and packable.. again perfect for me.

If you do buy one of those old axes please let us know how you do get on with it though as they are rather nice.

rancid badger

I've a couple of these too, found in my late father in law's shed/greenhouse. Cleaned up and sorted out, they are very good indeed.

However; There is no way I'd go to the bother of actually importing any from America! and all of those prices in the links are a bit off in my opinion!

Get yourself along to a few car boot sales and I'm sure you could pick up one or more for a couple of quid.

cheers

R.B.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land

Thanks for putting up that link. I've read his writings more than once for sure. Very informative and good reading. I haven't seen him post anywhere for a long time now-I sincerely hope he's in good health.
He shows what some might consider the impossible is possible, given time and patience. (specifically splitting the huge log)
Carving is perhaps a different story. I can see that a tiny hatchet would prove quite useful.

As has been pointed out on bcusa, tiny hatchets are in great demand, especially certain name brands, thus driving the prices up to very high levels. Supply and demand I suppose. The Norlund Voyageur is a good example.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think the biggest shortcoming of those mini hatchets is the eye in the head. It's very small and hence would be a real weak point. The GB mini hatchet has quite a large eye and can really stand up to hard use - I think the hatchets in that ebay ad would just snap off. Reprofiled thin, they'd be nice for light carving work.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
They aren't my cup of tea. I quite like a heavier head.

That said - if you think you will get good use out of it then why not?

Andy

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I would not bother.
Cold steel trail hawk gets my vote for a small cheap little axe, there's a great thread by Martyn (BB boss) on pimping one. I gave mine a good test this weekend chopped and sneded a dead standing spruce 10" diameter in no time!

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I would not bother.
Cold steel trail hawk gets my vote for a small cheap little axe, there's a great thread by Martyn (BB boss) on pimping one. I gave mine a good test this weekend chopped and sneded a dead standing spruce 10" diameter in no time!

What he said!

I did the mod and it is awesome and gets used for all kinds of jobs.

That said, I have a GB mini and it does get used all the time now, I use a kelly kettle a lot and its a tremendous partner for that so its always at hand. I rate it

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
i bought one once (car boot sale) i don't use it that much,but its a powerfull tool for size:
flexo_004.jpg

homemade hornbeam haft

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE