Mini gas burner ..whats the best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Morning all,

I'm looking to get a Mini gas burner, the type that screws onto the gas cylinder.

Don't need anything really fancy just well built, simple and reliable.

Any recommendations i could look at ?

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
These are tiny and highly effective for boiling water, maybe less good for cooking food in a frying pan as the heat area is so concentrated, but excellent for boiling up a brew or water for cous cous, noodles or whatever.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku

I got my unbranded one direct from china via aliexpress for around £8 delivered !!!

For more general cooking you probably need a larger burner head to diffuse the heat better over a larger area and these are good https://www.alpkit.com/products/koro

That one has a pre-heat tube which helps performance in colder weather, although you still need a cold weather suited gas mix too. Again I got mine from China for a lot less, but you have to wait two to three weeks for delivery, and the alpkit guys are really good and helpful so no bad thing to support them if you don't mind paying a bit more and getting it quicker.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I had a Kraku and sold it, replacing it with one of these. These thing are about tip of thumb to first knuckle tiny, ridiculously small and light. It goes by the name of the BRS-3000T almost universally so easy to google.

https://uk.gearbest.com/camping/pp_116350.html

Truly tiny, I can heat water in my Alpkit 450ml titanium mug on it. Cheaper at Aliexpress, I paid about £8 I think.

The Koro is much more versatile, and I use mine a lot, but it’s a remote stove and doesn’t pack down too well.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Robbi, I’m sure I did a look/review post on the Koro and the tiny BRS stove. Whether I put it here or ROF is another thing, it was certainly on BB. I don’t get much joy with the search engine here at the best of times.

I still have the pics if they’re any use, just not the original text.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Another vote for the BRS-3000T. Lightest and cheapest out there yet pefectly usable. Had it for almost a year of ferquent use with not a single issue. Grab it even asd a backup stove.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep tiny BRS3000 thing here too great little thing

Has totally retired the trusty msr pocket rocket which I used to think was small lol

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep tiny BRS3000 thing here too great little thing

Has totally retired the trusty msr pocket rocket which I used to think was small lol

Yep, mine replaced an Optimus Crux.

I looked on Aliexpress a minute ago, they’re about $13-14 delivered.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm another BRS300T user.
As others have said - very small and very light. Does the job.
I find it heats water really quickly, but it does make a noise doing that. It sounds like a sodding jet afterburner. But at least it boils quickly so I suppose you won't have it going very long.
Perfect burner for a day out to make a quick brew.

There appear to be several different burners labelled as BRS3000T on fleabay - is this the one you are all talking about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRS-3000...627249?hash=item3b0a1b3b31:g:XKYAAOSwj99Z5~yf

Yup, that's the one. I think I got mine off Amazon, but that's the same one regardless.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
There appear to be several different burners labelled as BRS3000T on fleabay - is this the one you are all talking about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRS-3000...627249?hash=item3b0a1b3b31:g:XKYAAOSwj99Z5~yf

A year or so ago, two or three sellers of these 'burners' started a selling / price war, I purchased one at £4 delivered, and when they got down to 99p delivered I bought another 5.

Wonderful and fast for boiling water.
Just watch the reflected heat going back onto the top of the gas cylinder - too hot and the cylinder explodes. You can make a small 'pie-tray' reflector (meat pie, apple pie - it doesn't matter) cut around a hole the size of the burner in the pie-tray and slip it over the burner, Heats the water even quicker and saves exploding gas cylinders

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
A year or so ago, two or three sellers of these 'burners' started a selling / price war, I purchased one at £4 delivered, and when they got down to 99p delivered I bought another 5.

Wonderful and fast for boiling water.
Just watch the reflected heat going back onto the top of the gas cylinder - too hot and the cylinder explodes. You can make a small 'pie-tray' reflector (meat pie, apple pie - it doesn't matter) cut around a hole the size of the burner in the pie-tray and slip it over the burner, Heats the water even quicker and saves exploding gas cylinders

Reminds me that I made a hanging stove kit for mine out of a catering baked bean tin lid

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought a canister gas burner (butane) away back in 1969. I'm still cooking on it.
I like the purring sound that it makes. Runs weakly in cold weather as the evaporating gas
chills the liquid in the canister even more.

Badly needed the wind screen and the folding broad base fixture.
I've used an assortment of petrol stoves (Primus, etc.) since then. They work OK. Stinky

No matter what the price, hindsight tells me that I really need 2 or maybe 3 of them for a civilized meal.
Even a 2-burner supper in the tent out of the rain is heaven.

Base camp absolute reliability = Coleman 2 burner petrol will light and run as hot as usual at -20C.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A happy Koro owner here. I wanted something that would be wind stable, and that I could put a low wind shield around. It fits into my Snowpeak 900 along with a pretty large gas canister and a baking tray wind shield. If it was smaller, I can't think of much I would use the extra space for inside my pot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE