millstones in birch woodland

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I took my lad Ollie out for a walk today to see the millstones in the disused quarry at Bole Hill near Hathersage, it's a bit of our local history and the quarry where all the stone for Ladybower and Howden Dams came from.

At a glance today it is pretty typical secondary wooldand, predominantly birch, all 25-50 years old. There are a lot of wide flat areas though.

IMG_7827.jpg

Then you start coming across worked stone, things like this wonderful trough.

IMG_7823.jpg

And then we find the millstones.

IMG_7813.jpg

lots of millstones

IMG_7820.jpg

and even more

IMG_7817.jpg

The story goes that in medieval times the local stone was used for millstones for grinding flour but then when the move to white bread came gritstone was not ggod as it made the flour gray. From then on the stones were used for industrial grinding, I don't know if they were used for grinding edge tools in Sheffield but most of the later ones which are left were apparently made for Export to Sweden where they were used for grinding trees for paper pulp. I was told that this market disappeared overnight when they started buying french stones instead hence the piles of unsold millstones today.

It's a wonderfull spot for a walk if you are in the area. Park in surprise view car park, cross the road and bimble about. If you cut down through the woods to Grindleford stationthere is a fine greasy cafe. Alternatively come by train, get out at Grindleford and walk to Hathersage then get the train home.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been round there quite a lot, never seen all those stones though. I'll check them out next time I'm up.

Thanks for posting :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE