Millbank Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Sometimes see them on EBAY but you gotta be quick, I got mine for approx 20 - 25 pounds. Did see someone suggesting using 1 micron filter bags on here which seemed like a cost effective alternative if you cant get hold of one

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
What a great idea. I was going to try a cloot used in jam making and home made wine. But a pair of jeans. Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Windy

nay probs, you can use any old clothing apart from wool, t shirts etc etc, just make sure its got no holes in it, after all a mil bank only filters all the sediment out...

thinking about it, a synthetic man made material would work better, it would not rot or stink when on a longer trip....:)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
My biggest ever car boot regret was when I came across a guy who had a very large box of Millbank bags. He was flogging them for a pound each! I bought two and thought no more about it until I saw how much they were going for on eBay. If I had bought the box full I could have paid off my car loan with the profits from selling them on.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I always meant to get a millbank bag but never got around to it.

Lannyman's idea is good and I'll probably give that a go, but at the moment I'm using a small to medium size jelly bag/witches hat for filtering.

Liam

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
To be fair to the millbank bag it's a bit more that jeans or canvas, it's almost waterproof. Water beads of it like nobodies. I'm pretty sure they're not treated so it's seriously close knit cloth. Still, like Chris says it can't filter out anything that would make you ill, so it's for filtering out ducks and pebbles and that only.

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Apparently the millbank bag was made by some squadie who cut up his canvas cover from his land rover.
It was put into production once it's usefulness was realised.
It filters down to 5 microns.

Got mine from Endicotts, £10

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
I bought some for £8 each incl. postage that I have offered up to fellow bushcrafters on this site and have a couple left. Yours for £10 to include postage etc. if you want the real thing and not a copy.

regards

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE