Millbank bags...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

charliefox said:
Anyone use Millbank bags as their primary / back up purification system.

Useful? waste of time? Any thoughts please...

Thanks
Chris

Chris, I have used them as both backup and primary water filtration systems, they work and are simple to use, just remember that it does not purify, it removes particles/foreign bodies from the water, to purify you will require to either boil or add some form of chemical (iodine or chlorine based) to the water and allow the relevant dwell time for the purification process to take place.

If I had one fault with them it would be speed and this is only on the small bag, the large ones work quite quickly :) .

I hope this is of some use.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
A simple expedient is to carry some cheesecloth and cover your water container when filling. You then have another backup source of tinder for your firemaking kit, emergency shemagh/ bandanna, bandaging material, container for mushrooms and other goodies you find.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Thanks for the info! :)
yet another thread generated 'cos of an Ebay auction coming to an end soon!

Got the chance to buy a bag and 20ml of iodine for less than £10!

thought it was a bit of a bargain as a back up system.

Thanks again

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
charliefox said:
Thanks for the info! :)
yet another thread generated 'cos of an Ebay auction coming to an end soon!

Got the chance to buy a bag and 20ml of iodine for less than £10!

thought it was a bit of a bargain as a back up system.

Thanks again

Yeah, cheers mate. you doubled the price of my bid. I was quite happily sitting at £4.99 for days and then you go jumping in at the last minute and bump my price up. I'm glad you didn't spot my other auction I was bidding on ;) :D
Still they generally go for £20 in the surplus shops so I still reckon i got a bargain as well as a bottle of Iodine thrown in.
Cheers,
Martin
Aka Nitramretrop on E-bay

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Sorry Martin - anyway, as far as I knew you won. the seller offered me one as a Second Chance offer at a lower price than the one you won with.

Not sure what's going on there? Still, the joys of a free market. I'll have to be more cagey in future! :)

All the best
C

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
charliefox said:
Sorry Martin - anyway, as far as I knew you won. the seller offered me one as a Second Chance offer at a lower price than the one you won with.

Not sure what's going on there? Still, the joys of a free market. I'll have to be more cagey in future! :)

All the best
C
I don't know, you double my price and then get yours cheaper anyway. :eek: I think you owe me a beer. :D
Only pulling your leg mate. ;) As I said, £10 is still a very good price. Especially with the iodine !!! I've seen this person selling them before, so they must have a fair few.

Cheers,
Martin

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Thanks Martin

you'd think they'd have the sense to run the thing as a dutch auction, so we all paid a fair price!

Can't seem to find a "virtual beer" smilie so I tell you what, if you ever end up in the back of my ambulance, I promise I'll only use sharp needles :D

Can't say fairer than that.

Thanks for taking it so well
C

BTW, for anyone wanting to get in at the last minute on Ebay, or sniping as it's known, try "Hammersnipe" here Hammersnipe

Well worth a look

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
the milbank is the only single water filter i use not keen on anything that needs refils as they always need replacing at the one time you need them or when you are short of money the milbank is always there when you need it

D

damh_bard

Hi!
I got my millbank from an ebay Dutch aution, paid £5 for it - brand new and loverly.
The millbank bag is definately my preferred method of water filtration. I've had a go at the mechanical ones, and they seem very fragile to me. The simple millbank bag, then boiling really does the trick, although the water still tastes like, well, pond water - rice cooked in it can taste a bit grim, but at least it's food....
Hey, Martin, I know we've been busy, but I'd still like to meet up sometime. I'm sure it'll happen sometime :)
Take care.
Peace
Damh

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
damh_bard said:
Hey, Martin, I know we've been busy, but I'd still like to meet up sometime. I'm sure it'll happen sometime :)
Take care.
Peace
Damh
Hiya mate,
Too right about meeting up !!!
I saw Anderridda Gorsedd made it into the local paper last week ;) Mandy had a copy and showed me. :D
if ever you get the chance, you should make it up to one of the Ashdown moots. It'd give us a chance to catch up over a pint in a leafy glade next to the fire.

Take care mate,

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE