Military Tilley Lamp Question

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
A simple question – I’ve seen a Military Tilley Lamp in olive drab, new and unissued for sale at £60, is that a good price?

Ta

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If you mean the Vapalux M320...

vapaluxm320_001.jpg

....then yes, that's a fair price for a mint one...

http://www.bairstowbrothers.co.uk/vapalux/lamp_m320.htm

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A couple of years ago there was a fella on ebay that seemed to have dozens of surplus M320's. He was selling the unlit ones for £35 on buy it now. I grabbed 3 of em. I still occasionally see em for around £50, but they are more commonly about the £90 mark now in unlit condition. Mebbe one day there will be a surplus glut again and they'll be super cheap, but it could be a long wait. You can also pick em up at car boots for pennies, usually in tatty condition though. Fantastic lamps.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Martyn, I know this guy has had it for sale for a few months and the girl in the shop said she thought it was too expensive that's why it wasn't selling, he might be open to a convirsation on the price :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you phoned Endicott's ? They had some in at a superb price. The one I ended up with had never been used, came complete in it's original box with all spares too :D

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The army are moving away from Vapalux lanterns these days:( in fact rumour has it that Vapalux is now for sale having lost he military contract.

Great lanterns and £60 is OK. All spares can be had from www.base-camp.co.uk They have a spares kit including a top reflector on offer (see my avatar).

I've a couple of unopened Army lanterns and one thats in a box with a new Optimus 123 stove for my grandson's 21st birthday in 2029:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tell you what I *really* don't like about the Vapalux; the footer trying to fill the preheater with that wee can and brass tube :sigh: I gave up and have a syringe with a bit of plastic tubing elastic banded around the tin.
The Aladdin pre heater clamp was a much better idea altogether.

Happy grandson Rik :D

cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I tell you what I *really* don't like about the Vapalux; the footer trying to fill the preheater with that wee can and brass tube :sigh: I gave up and have a syringe with a bit of plastic tubing elastic banded around the tin.
The Aladdin pre heater clamp was a much better idea altogether.

Couldn't agree more with you Toddy (apart from the bit about the Aladdin pre heater clamp). The old Bialaddin spirit cup was a much better solution, but they changed the design for the Vapalux M320, probably for cost and probably to make it more squaddie-proof.

I modded all 3 of mine. It's a simple job to replace the static Vapalux M320 spirit cup....

m320_001-1.jpg

...with a moveable spirit cup taken from a Bialaddin 320, to give you a cup that drops down for filling and then lifts up for priming...

In the "down" position for filling and lighting....
m320_002-1.jpg

In the "up" position with the support arm in place for priming....
m320_003-1.jpg

The old Bialaddin spirit cups do appear on ebay every now and then and I think they are well worth snagging for your M320's.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Martyn, an un used Fleet enema bottle are perfect for getting meths into those out of the way places and the plastic does not degrade I never use the supplied fuel tin (the original tins with graphics on fetch more than the lanterns now). I prefer the 300 model over the 320, no difference in performance but IMHO just looks nicer :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This filling the preheater is a pain with my lantern; the syringe set up works, but what's a fleet enema bottle ? 'cos if that's easier..........

cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks Rich, never would of thought of that. :D

I've taken to using a 10ml luer lock syringe with a stainless steel luer applicator needle (blunt) that I got off ebay. The syringe fits inside a standard 500ml meths bottle for drawing up. The advantage of the stainless applicator is that if you are too frugal with the priming fluid or need to re-prime for any reason, then it's impervious to hot lamp parts.

I agree about the 300x, it is a far prettier lamp. I was looking on the bay for a polished brass one with a pressure gague to keep as a house lamp. But for camping, the ex-mil M320's are perfect, as looks are less of an issue.

Toddy, a fleet enema is a pre-formulated disposable enema, that comes in a little squeezy bottle containing a phosphate solution. The bottle has a long, flexible nose on it for putting you-know-where. :D

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good........in the right situation iimmc :eek:
How does one obtain such an unused item ? Would a chemist stock them ?

cheers,
Toddy..........who's thinking that's a conversatio I need to practice before I ask........it's for my light :lmao:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Another top tip for the Vapalux M320 is to use Tilley 164H "Happy Mantles". These are of the ring type, but fit perfectly (just unscrew the center tube that fits over the vapouriser before fitting the new mantle). They are larger, brighter and cheaper than the vapalux/bialaddin tie-on mantles.

164H.jpg

Here you can see the difference...

vapaluxm320_005.jpg

Also, for transporting the lantern, a Coleman hard carry case works well.

bialaddin320-012.jpg

You have to cut out the lugs in the base with a stanley knife to allow the Vapalux to fully sit in there. It's a tight fit, but it does work...

bialaddin320-010.jpg

Shown with my Bialaddin 320 (which is essentially the same lantern).

bialaddin320-011.jpg

There is space under the base for storage of spare mantles or whatever. When the lid is on, you can seal round the join with duck tape to make an air/water tight seal. Useful for mebbe transporting the lantern in a canoe or for long term storage perhaps.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another plus for these lanterns is heat, you get around 1Kw of heat which is welcome in a well ventilated winter tent :)

Hate to say it Martyn and Red, but I've got a soft spot for my twin mantle Coleman lamp from 1962 :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Another plus for these lanterns is heat, you get around 1Kw of heat which is welcome in a well ventilated winter tent :)

Hate to say it Martyn and Red, but I've got a soft spot for my twin mantle Coleman lamp from 1962 :)

I know what you mean, some lanterns just hit the "want" button. I want a Petromax. I'm not going to start collecting lanterns though - I cant afford another hobby. :D

Good point about the heat, 1Kw is a significant output. Considering 1 litre of paraffin will burn these on full whack for 10 hours straight, all the while putting out 1Kw of heat and 60 watts of light for less than 10p an hour, I think they are brilliant kit. It always amazes me how with just a few pumps, these things will just chug away for 3 or 4 hours. I know that a battery lantern will probably be more convenient for a lot of people, but when you are outside, torchlight always seems to intrude, whereas these lamps seem to compliment. Love em.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

The only Coleman I have is a modern(ish) petrol jobby. Great for outdoors but impossible to use indoors for the smell alone let alone H&S reasons !

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE