Military ground sheet/half shelter tent configurations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Are that swiss tent sheets or NATO shape shelter halves or what did you get?

What are the dimensions if that are square sheets? Which colour or camo pattern? Which origin?
How many did you get?

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Hello there. They are Canadian forces surplus 9’ by 5’ grommets, zippers as well I believe from reviews. Heavily made nylon material. I also picked up a German BK rain poncho half shelter rubberized nylon. Thank you.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Hello there. Thank you for the replies. I appreciate all the photos and questions. Looking forward to checking these out and seeing what can work best for me and what I need them for.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German poncho you can use the best like this:

First you tie with the fisherman's knot cordage loops in all grommet, at home. Large enough for wooden tent stakes, but not too large. Let's say the loops have 5 cm diameter.
The tent stakes never go through the grommets, always through the cordage loops.

You attach to a 150 cm cord two smaller lightweight carabiner hooks in the ends.
One goes into a corner of the poncho, one goes around a tree approximately chest or head high, and clicks into the own rope. You pick up the diagonal opposite corner, tension the poncho to the ground and put in there the first tent stake. Afterwards you peg out the both other corners.

Ready is your plough point shelter!

With a bit practice that's done within one or two minutes.

You can tie out the cord of the hood to a branch or whatever to get more space.

There is a press button that you can use to close the neck hole. The hood should point downwards of course. Or you just pull the draw string tight and wrap it around the hood.

This shelter works the best in combination with a bivvy bag.

I carry only 3 very light aluminium tent stakes like this here for hard ground.
If they aren't thick or long enough I can carve others in place, but that isn't needed in most cases, because the sail surface isn't so large.

These little pegs you just press into the ground by hand in most cases.

There are a lot of other makers with very similar products.

If you don't use a bivvy bag, you can use the poncho as ground sheet or as bivvy bag too and use another sheet as shelter.

If you aren't too tall the German army poncho serves well as lean to shelter as well.

Your Canadian equipment I don't know. Standard configurations are always possible, but if there are special options I can't tell you.

Do you have a link to the seller?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoomerangBob

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
150 cm is a bit narrow for my taste.

I would use the Canadian tarp as a lean to shelter and sleep on half the German poncho.
If you awake because it starts to rain you put the other half of the poncho over you.

That isn't the best setup in the world but should work well.

If you have a friend with you, you can do it approximately like in the video. Make sure that the wind goes through the camp from your heads to your feed.

If it's very windy you can set the both tarps in a 90 degrees angle to protect yourself.

Last edited:

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Hello there. I have picked up 4 of these. Also got two sets of the Swiss tent pole sets. Have a BK German rubberized poncho coming as well. Look for ideas on using multiple shelter halves to make a larger shelter for 3-4 people. Anyone have experience with the Canadian Forces 4 Man Crew Tent also known as the Recce tent? Interested in the poles needed to properly set that up.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You surely mean BW, Bundeswehr, isn't it?

That's the poncho shown in the video above.

4 tent sheets I would set up like post No6 image 1. That creates a heated room around a small fire.

That crew tent seems too heavy to carry in the rucksack.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Family most likely. Have three teenage children and one grown up. Summer to early falltime. Got the BW Poncho and Dutch woobie poncho liner in today. Looks pretty nice. Half shelters should be here in a day or so.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
See post No 16 in this thread:

In your situation I would go for sure with a Jurtenland / Tortuga Wanderkohte if I can find the poles and tent stakes in the forest. I would carry a Fiskars X7 and a folding frame saw (perhaps Agawa Canyon) to make them and to section the firewood to the needed relatively small size.
In car or boat I would think about additional bought or home made poles.

I use shorter ones than in the video and set them next to the fire stone circle. That's better than the version in the video.

That's a 4 to 8 persons tent. 4 fits very comfortably, 8 is OK.

Additional as ground sheets I would give each a German army poncho or a 350g Italian army poncho made by Defcon 5, available new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE