Mike Ameling Fire Steels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I should point out here that I am talking about forged steel fire steels or strikalights, that were used with flint and charcloth to make fire, from the iron age up until the invention of the match around 1830. I'm not talking about modern ferrocerium rods.

I've used a few of these before, and often struggled to make fire. I recently bought a 'C' shaped firesteel on ebay from Mike Ameling of Iowa for a mere $12.99 delivered (less than £7). He has a website at http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/firefromsteel/
Various authentic designs are available.

I really cannot recommend these highly enough. Mike refers to his 'humble work' but he is clearly a master craftsman. The steels give unbelievably excellent sparks and look very old and traditional. I made fire within seconds of opening the parcel, with an indifferent piece of flint and some charcloth Todddy gave me years ago. My wife got a bit annoyed at me filling the kitchen with smoke. Usually it takes me rather longer with a firesteel and I surprised myself.

The Woodlore version looks a bit heavier but costs £15.

I could explore the possibility of a group buy here but it is likely that individual orders would be cheaper, as a large order would incur VAT but individual orders would be below the threshold.

Unfortunately Mike doesn't appear to be offering any on ebay at the moment. I have emailed him about future availability.

Recommended.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nice one Doc... I recently got a corker...

ade8_1.JPG

from here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/D-B-Primitive-Forgeworks

It's a very satisfying way of making fire I think.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Very nice. It is more practical than one might think.

With dry char cloth and tinder bundle, you can get fire as fast or faster than with a ferrocerium rod and birchbark.

As you say, very satisfying.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
It seems Squidders and I have been shopping at the same smiths :D

aunedragon5076jx6.jpg

Darrel Aune made mine too. My only other steel throws anemic sparks compared to this one. I had never really thought about these as being all that different, but apparently Darrel did a much better job on setting the hardness on this compared to my old C-Steel.

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
Dave Budd makes good ones as well. Don't know about current price as I bought mine at the Gembloux knife show.

Jason01 (sorry can't remember real name) also has good ones, but don't know about availability.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Doc said:
I should point out here that I am talking about forged steel fire steels or strikalights, that were used with flint and charcloth to make fire, from the iron age up until the invention of the match around 1830. I'm not talking about modern ferrocerium rods.

I've used a few of these before, and often struggled to make fire. I recently bought a 'C' shaped firesteel on ebay from Mike Ameling of Iowa for a mere $12.99 delivered (less than £7). He has a website at http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/firefromsteel/

I really cannot recommend these highly enough. Mike refers to his 'humble work' but he is clearly a master craftsman. The steels give unbelievably excellent sparks and look very old and traditional. I made fire within seconds of opening the parcel, with an indifferent piece of flint and some charcloth Todddy gave me years ago. My wife got a bit annoyed at me filling the kitchen with smoke. Usually it takes me rather longer with a firesteel and I surprised myself.

I could explore the possibility of a group buy here but it is likely that individual orders would be cheaper, as a large order would incur VAT but individual orders would be below the threshold.

Unfortunately Mike doesn't appear to be offering any on ebay at the moment. I have emailed him about future availability.

Recommended.

Good arent they Doc, I have several steels from both Mike Ameling and Darrel Aune and they are excellent.

steel000.jpg

More info here.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Looking around the web there are lots of resources on the use of flint and steel.

I've not yet tried using any tinder other than char-cloth - has anyone had any success with anything else?

Mike Ameling informs me that he will be putting more firesteels on ebay and they are also available through his website. His ebay name is line-shack-rider. I have no connection except as a satisfied customer.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I wanted to show off my recent purchase from Mikey that is a perfect addition to my traditional fire pouch (pouch by Mr Fenna ;) ) :D

The traditional steel on the right is what I requested. The one one the left is a gift that Mikey threw in and according to Mikey is 'a Dutch Trade style that was found in a Seneca Indian village site that was occupied between 1650 and 1680'.

MLNA0049.jpg

MLNA0052.jpg

A pair of beauties for sure and (obviously) tested sweet with a flint and a bit of charcloth.

Thanks Mikey :You_Rock_ :D

Oh and whilst I'm dropping names like hot potatoes the flint in the pic was off Will Lord :p

I have a dragon fire steel by Daryl at primal connections which is great. Just as good though is one I got as a swap with Wayland from BCUK. Both throw great showers of sparks. I have had mixed results when making char cloth, so I now usually use cotton rope held in a copper pipe. It works really well and lasts ages.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...copper+charred
this a link to the piece on how to make it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I haven't tried one of Mike's yet but I use a steel striker very regularly and I do find a huge variation in quality of sparks from steels sold.

Good to know that Mike's are good.

I find many smiths sell steels that are close to useless. I have quite a collection of different ones, but there are only a couple that I will use in the course of my work because I need them to work first time.

HDF

Feb 24, 2008
Bath Somerset
Those are some nice steels! I made one with a bit of scrap o1 tool stell from my knife project. It gave a nice shower of sparks but I haven't made any char cloth yet! But thosse steels are works of art! When I make my forge those are going to be my aim. You lot are lucky to own those great strikers.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Those are some nice steels! I made one with a bit of scrap o1 tool stell from my knife project. It gave a nice shower of sparks but I haven't made any char cloth yet! But thosse steels are works of art! When I make my forge those are going to be my aim. You lot are lucky to own those great strikers.

Drop Mikey a PM if you fancy one. Charcloth is so simple to do just do a search :)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I haven't tried one of Mike's yet but I use a steel striker very regularly and I do find a huge variation in quality of sparks from steels sold.

Good to know that Mike's are good.

I find many smiths sell steels that are close to useless. I have quite a collection of different ones, but there are only a couple that I will use in the course of my work because I need them to work first time.

I'm looking forward to our next meet ;) I remember that last time we discussed flint and steel I knew nowt so it's good to know that next time we can compare gear and notes :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have in the past bought a couple of steels and have been a little disapointed with their size, spark delivery and value for money - I hasten to add, none were Mikes - so I made my own from old files.
I simply broke pieces off old files and ground the edges flat, smoothed off the rough edges and - job done!
OK - they are not works of art! But they are the most efficient sparkers I have used!
These are the ones I flog on my sellers thread (sorry if this sounds like an advert - it is not meant to be!) and buyers have started calling them "Dragons Breath" which should give the idea of how good they can be!
The secret is in using OLD files as they are properly hardened, modern ones are not....
I have found a supplier of old files, though I would say that you could possibly find some in car boot sales across the country...
A decent sized file will produce several steels at little cost (so little that the kits I flog concist of leather pouch, flint, polypore fungus, charcloth and steel for not much more than the pouch alone - and most of that extra cost is in postage costs as the steel is heavy!) and it is shown from archeeological evidence that broken files were often employed as steels in the days before matches and bic lighters.
If you have access to a bench grinder then a good source of cost effective steels is easily open to you.
However - if you want artistry and have a bit more spare cash, then Mikes win out every time!:cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that is nice Wayland :approve:

I've had some pretty indifferent quality strikersteels over the years, some good ones too, and it's always good to know of a reliable craftsman.
Thanks for the links folks. :)

cheers,
Toddy

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The piece of ex-file in Johns Dragons breath kit is more than adequate of giving sparks and it it still resident. I just wanted something aesthetically pleasing in there.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

Recommended.

I am happy with a group buy on Mike's or [SIZE=-1]DB Primitive Forgework's (Darrell Aune) steels! :D http://stores.ebay.com/D-B-Primitive-Forgeworks - if you are going to do a group buy then drop us a PM or post something on the Group Buy thread!! Cheers. [/SIZE]:approve:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE