Meva no1 parafin stove - bought today for £5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Anybody know anything about a Meva No1 stove, it says "Made in Czechoslovakia" and some other writing which looks arabic to me.
Picked it up today in a junk shop for £5, it`s a bit grubby but it looks intact and everything is straight.

DSC00826.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It looks like a Primus clone. If it is its a pressure stove that runs on Parrafin and you prime it with a bit of hexy block.

But thats only my tuppence worth.

Ahhggh not the manky hexi block trick! You can preheat/prime it with hexi block but it makes a right old mess and can ultimately lead to blocking up the jet.
I know, I tried the same trick:D

Just use meths in the preheating cup on the vaporiser tube;)
if you want full on advice, from someone who's really interested in this sort of thing; Rik_uk3
might be able to help.
They look fantastic polished up!:)
cheers
Steve

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
For preheating you can also use a bit of cotton cloth in the cup and pump then release the pressure so that you get a dribble of parrafin out of the jet to wet the cloth in the cup. It saves carring meths as well..
Nice looking stove

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
these where very popular in the days before camping gaz 2000's, get ever so hot very quickly and burn with a gorgous roaring sound, my advice if your not used to parrafin pressure stoves first time you try it do so outdoors and away from anything flamable as they have an alarming tendancy to flare up. you might want to clear up the jet and grease the pump washer, clear the tank and replace any parafin that's in it , only fill it about half way. make sure the valves all work as well.

put some pressure in it with the valves all closed off and leave iot overnight, check for leaks,

Sorry if this makes it sound like a dangerous operation but it's much better to be safe than sorry and in general these things give years of good service and were able to withstand generations of scouts abusing them.

Good luck!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great stove :)

1 Empty tank of any fuel and rinse several times with hot soapy water

2 Rinse tank with plain hot water and drain as much as you can

3 Rinse tank with about 100mls of meths, this will soak up any residual water

Get a bucket of water ready, pump up the empty stove and immerse in the water (not over the burner) and this will show if you have any leaks

You really should replace the lid washer and burner tube washer plus the pump leather, spares are available from

http://base-camp.co.uk/Contactu.htm

Give Mike there a ring and he will sort out all you need, Just tell him the model number. Don't prime with hexy or paraffin, you can, but its really sooty and stinks. PM me if I can help further or nip over to http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/fusionbb.php? I've been know to post a few times over there myself, the lads are a friendly bunch.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stove :)

1 Empty tank of any fuel and rinse several times with hot soapy water

2 Rinse tank with plain hot water and drain as much as you can

3 Rinse tank with about 100mls of meths, this will soak up any residual water

Get a bucket of water ready, pump up the empty stove and immerse in the water (not over the burner) and this will show if you have any leaks

You really should replace the lid washer and burner tube washer plus the pump leather, spares are available from

http://base-camp.co.uk/Contactu.htm

Give Mike there a ring and he will sort out all you need, Just tell him the model number. Don't prime with hexy or paraffin, you can, but its really sooty and stinks. PM me if I can help further or nip over to http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/fusionbb.php? I've been know to post a few times over there myself, the lads are a friendly bunch.

Many thanks Richard, I was hoping you`d see this.

Never had a paraffin stove before but I just couldn`t resist it when I saw it.

Any idea how much burn time I`d get roughly on a full tank, some of the guys have said they`re pretty vicious. I was thinking it could be good to take on canoe trips if it`ll see me through a weekend on one fill.

Next question is where can I find paraffin these days ?

thanks again

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rich the tank will take around one and a half pints, you can control the flame by opening the little screw at the side of the filler cap. A full tank will last 3 or 4 hours at full heat, many hours if you bring to the boil and simmer. For paraffin try garden centres and places like Focus and B&Q who stock it for us in paraffin greenhouse heaters even try small market stalls and DIY shops

Have fun :)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Ahhggh not the manky hexi block trick! You can preheat/prime it with hexi block but it makes a right old mess and can ultimately lead to blocking up the jet.
I know, I tried the same trick:D

Just use meths in the preheating cup on the vaporiser tube;)
if you want full on advice, from someone who's really interested in this sort of thing; Rik_uk3
might be able to help.
They look fantastic polished up!:)
cheers
Steve

See every day I learn something new.

Thats the way I've always done used a primi, the way my father taught me.

So up till now its the way that I've always assumed is the best.:rolleyes:

Ta

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Rik, not wanting to hijack...but........would the same advice be viable to a tilley lamp thats history is unknown?
Gonna clean up the lamp I got and want to check its good before lighting!
D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tommy, yes, its pretty much the same for the Tilley lamp and you can get full service kits from basecamp as well, not expensive. To be honest, I replace all the seals etc on any stove or lantern I get as a matter of course, it makes life easier

For lamp help this Dutch site is wonderful, and English is the first language there, ask away and you will get all the help you need, great bunch of fold

http://www.be-back-later.com/forums/

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
With Tilley lamps I find the 2 most common causes of failure are the control valve and the self pricker There's some very good sites about with exploded diagrams that show the intricacies of the mechanism, also much more prone to leaks at the joints and less able to cope with abuse, very popular with the fishing fraternity, and about a 10th of the running cost of gaz,
whenever I use them they are the brightest thing on public campsites other than people running flourescent tubes using converters.
and again they have that lovely hissing sound when working properly.

Almost forgot get used to suicidal moths etc.
If your going to use one do yourself a favour and make a plywood box for transporting and storing it.

Cheers Roy

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Forgot about my hijack of his thread and just wanted to take the time to say thanks.
Got to get a couple of bits off basecamp so will add the service kit to the order.
Ta for the link and the warnings about suicidal moths....kamakarzi! (sp?)
Dave
Noticed the moths sometimes dive bomb the fire too.......how do Buddhists have fires?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE