Methylated Spirit (Meths)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
if its sealed i would say indefinitely i have had bottles that have even lost their colour or the dye has dropped out but the alcohol still burns the same

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
as above as long as the bottle or container is sealed it will stop the alcohol evaporating, i have some meths down the shed that's almost clear now, burns a treat though

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Last summer i was going through some of my old gear , found my old trangia that i got as a prize from the survival club (1000th member)

I havn't used it for at least 20 years the burner was still full of meths , so i showed it to the kids and made us all a cup of tea .

Craig...............

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Last summer i was going through some of my old gear , found my old trangia that i got as a prize from the survival club (1000th member)

I havn't used it for at least 20 years the burner was still full of meths , so i showed it to the kids and made us all a cup of tea .

Craig...............

Love it! Bet the kids did too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
get the industrial stuff its clear the military used ot have it in 20 ltr drums

only one number out from the 200ml bottles issues for adventure training ;)

this was 20 yrs ago

Not easy to get and very hard to get in 20 litre drums. I'm using Ethanol at less than £1 a litre, 25 litre drum was IIRC £17 or £18 so I can now afford to use a Heat Pal heater all night.

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Just going slightly off topic, once you've got your burner burning and blooming and you've made your brew, how do you put it out if you haven't got a simmer ring?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE