Meths stoves, boil time, 500ml/2 cups, best times please using 1 OZ/30ml of fuel...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Performance wise, yes you might get close. If only it was as efficient, convenient and it locked together, then it would actually be a good alternative.

Plenty of cheap gas stoves they will fit, often with a wider base so far more stable than a JB. My lad likes his JB, cost him £0... he pinched it off his dad;)

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I've got the Evernew meths burner & DX stand, with cold water, cool ambient temps (10 c), windshield and a gentle breeze I managed a rolling boil in 8 1/2 mins. The down side is that I used 1 3/4 oz of fuel. Oh I used an Alpkit Ti mug for the vessel.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Plenty of cheap gas stoves they will fit, often with a wider base so far more stable than a JB. My lad likes his JB, cost him £0... he pinched it off his dad;)

Cant possibly be more stable than holding it in your hand and no cheap gas stove will let you do that - in fact to the best of my knowledge, no other stove at all will let you do that (except possibly the Primus Eta Solo which is essentially a jetboil copy). Speed and efficiency aside, that one fact makes it irreplaceable for some situations, such as crouched in a bothy bag during a storm or in the passenger seat of a car, neither of which I would even consider attempting with any other stove. I dont know what you've got against em Rik, but there are a number of situations where they are without question, the best possible choice of any stove money can buy.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cant possibly be more stable than holding it in your hand and no cheap gas stove will let you do that - in fact to the best of my knowledge, no other stove at all will let you do that (except possibly the Primus Eta Solo which is essentially a jetboil copy). Speed and efficiency aside, that one fact makes it irreplaceable for some situations, such as crouched in a bothy bag during a storm or in the passenger seat of a car, neither of which I would even consider attempting with any other stove. I dont know what you've got against em Rik, but there are a number of situations where they are without question, the best possible choice of any stove money can buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEB-TEX-C...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4aaf6683fa Will fit, be more stable than a free standing JB, fit one of the energy effishient pots with room for a brew kit etc plus you can use that sort of stove on bigger pots without buying further bits and pieces. The bothy bag and car use realistically is a statistical nonsense Martyn, thats a JB fan clutching at straws chap lol. Nothing wrong with a JB or the Eta Express (which seems to come out on top in tests), I have both and as said my lad nicked mine...I'm in no rush to grab it back. I certainly don't think they are the best stove money can buy in any situation I can envisage. I had no idea you used a bothy bag?

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEB-TEX-C...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4aaf6683fa Will fit, be more stable than a free standing JB, fit one of the energy effishient pots with room for a brew kit etc plus you can use that sort of stove on bigger pots without buying further bits and pieces. The bothy bag and car use realistically is a statistical nonsense Martyn, thats a JB fan clutching at straws chap lol. Nothing wrong with a JB or the Eta Express (which seems to come out on top in tests), I have both and as said my lad nicked mine...I'm in no rush to grab it back. I certainly don't think they are the best stove money can buy in any situation I can envisage. I had no idea you used a bothy bag?

You should speak to Basermetal on BB, he'll tell you what he thinks of your statistical nonsense as he carries and uses a bothybag often. In Ayreshire it can get pretty bleak and he uses a bothy to get out of the weather for a fast brew and warm up when there is no other shelter on the hill. It's the main reason he carries a JB. I've also used a JB in my landy often. I've used it in the passenger seat and I've used it with 3 people sitting in the back with very little room to spare and certainly nowhere near enough for any other type of stove. The jetboil is the ONLY stove that can provide a safe brewup in these conditions, aside from being one of the fastest and most economical stoves you can buy. But it's the practicality and ease of use that has won it so many fans including half the lads in the army. I'm not a fanboy Rik, I own dozens of stoves of all shapes and sizes, I like many of them for a variety of reasons, but I dont bury my head in the sand either. The Jetboil isn't the perfect solution for all things, it has it's limitations. But your refusal to accept it's clearly obvious benefits and lack of any criticism with substance, just smacks of inverse snobbery and stovie elitism. I used to rate your opinion highly Rik, but you've lost me I'm afraid. Your POV lacks objectivity my friend. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE