meths and plastic

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I can't remember exactly what but when working at blacks we had to do some sort of talk when selling Sigg bottles something about the washers or metal perishing on waterbottles? so "you should only use Fuel bottles for fuel" or vis a versa.

also there was always the issue of getting fuel and water bottles mixed up in the dark if they were the same size and shape.:eek: not such a nice mistake to make!
you don't want water in your stove:tapedshut , or meths in your belly!:yuck:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I currently use a couple of half litre bottles that my Winter car windscreen antifreeze/cleaner concentrate came in. Theyr'e designed to store alcohol so you can feel pretty safe the plastic used is OK fairly longterm, have a good sealing cap and because I needed the product anyway effectively free.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
For the time being, me and my mates are storing our meths in the bottle it came in, but those have often leaked on us, even new bottles! I don't have a clue what we would be doing wrong, it's as if the bottles were designed to be held upright all the time, or at least after the first time you open them... So we're carrying them on the outside of our packs or wrapped in a plastic bag... When trying out different bottles, you might like to put it in a closed freezer bag and than in the backpack, just in case it leaks...
I'm most likely going to buy a one litre Trangia bottle, should fix our worries :)

pwb

I've never had a problem with meths but I once used a small contact lens solution bottle for holding thin oil for a small cleaning kit. I thought it would be ideal :rolleyes: but the cap discoloured and crumbled after about two weeks....messy.

Also had an experience of a plastic tub ( ice-cream tub IIRC ) distort and start leaking :eek: within an hour of washing machine parts in it using paraffin.

Personally I don't know one plastic from another and after the above experiences I'm a bit wary of storing fuel in untested containers.

Pete.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Just thought another possible annoyance with meths,

If you mark your kit with Permanent marker, Meths can remove or smudge it!

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I don't use meths a lot but I do recall that some years back I had to drain a lawnmower of petrol and the petrol ended up in one of those little plastic cups that you get in vending machines. The petrol ate through the bottom in less than a minute, bit of a shock when I picked up the cup and the bottom stayed on the floor, spilling the petrol everywhere!

Before you ask I don't know what sort of plastic it was but perhaps someone else more knowledgeable about such matters knows what sort of plastic is used in those cups?

On the odd ocasions that I have used meths I always use either the bottle it was supplied in or the little bottle that you can get in Trangias, wouldn't feel comfortable keeping meths in anything else in my pack, especially if it was anywhere near my dinner!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE