Metal wedges for fitting axe handles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wood is better.

The day that you have to remove the handle remains (because you broke the handle), you will curse and curse yourself for using a metal wedge.

If you use wooden wedges, you can just drill them out.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I use a wooden wedge vertically then secure with a horizontal metal wedge.

Ditto here mate. The wooden wedge will spread the upper part of the haft, and the metal will hold it fast. Unless you soak the heads in linseed, the wood will expand and contract if exposed to dry or wet conditions accordingly, hence a metal wedge will mitigate the wooden wedge coming loose to a degree.

I've never had an issue with removing an old haft with a metal wedge, there's still space to drill out around the edges if need be.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
I agree with Silverhill but you don't have to put the metal wedge in straight away. You can use the axe for a bit first to see if it settles in then drive the metal wedge in if needed. They're not essential.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought a new hatchet handle but even after sanding it down quite a lot, it's REALLY tight on the head - the slot that was cut to take a wooden wedge is completely closed up - should I knock it off again and make it looser or just hammer in some metal wedges?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I bought a new hatchet handle but even after sanding it down quite a lot, it's REALLY tight on the head - the slot that was cut to take a wooden wedge is completely closed up - should I knock it off again and make it looser or just hammer in some metal wedges?

Although I am in no position to make suggestions, it seems to me that the wooden wedge, because of its size, is supposed to push a larger surface area of the handle into the metal of the axe head. Then, the metal wedge seems to lock it all off securely. If that is the case - and, coming from me, it's a pretty big "if", then I would knock it off, make it looser and try again, using both wooden and metal wedges. As I said, I'm no expert - I offer the suggestion as 'observant idea' - nothing more.

I think I will try the combination myself. If it's good enough for Gransfors and Wetterlings, it'll be good enough for me and my rather beautiful Nic Westermann axe head.

On, on!

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
If it's a bought wooded wedge, they tend to be a bit thick....they also tend to be made out of a fragile wood....

I'd knock the head off, tidy up the handle, if necessary open up the slot a wee bit and re-wedge with a wedge which is about the right size (150 - 200% of the slot width works for me) and a decent material. Oak is good, but I've had success with American Black Walnut (all I had lying around). I'd then add a metal cross-wedge

Cheers

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
Tiley, your local agricultural supplies place (mole-valley or alike) should keep both wooden wedges and the metal securing wedges (probably in a variety of sizes), well worth checking out in my experience...

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Failing a local Agri store - do you have a 'magic shoppe' locally? I've yet to find a town that doesn't have one of these... it's normally the one with all the hammers, drill bits, hacksaw blades and augers in the window. Ours looks like this...

magic shoppe.jpg

...always seems to have whatever it is you need.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Only put it in when your sure Its right Tiley! I have some that I have yet to use; if holds tight with a wooden wedge I would be happy with a that; if it comes loose later then you can use your metal wedges. I always soak in boiled linseed though that seems to help them to stay put.

ATB

Nic

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I have a Husqvarna Hatchet that I just received. Do you think the metal wedge being so far off center is a cause for concern? I have not used the hatchet yet. Below is a link of an photo I took of it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/imag0671p.jpg/

Not at all. The wooden wedge supplies the force to hold the handle into the head. The metal wedge is just there to stop that wedge from moving. If it were to move, as its a wedge shape it will work its way out. If this happens the head will come loose and your in trouble. A metal wedge is just to hold the wooden one. It will not spread the wood enough to effect the fit. As such fit it straight away or not at all. Fitting it later defeats the point. If your wood wedge does come loose fit a new one then put the metal one in.
An axe is a fabulous tool but deserves more respect that any other you will carry. It can do far more damage than any other tool you have (knife included), both to you and those around you. Treat it well and ensure the head is always secure.

My thoughts, ramblings anyway :)

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
If you need to remove metal weges theres a methord where you drill a small hole into the metal wege then screw a screw into it you can then remove the wege useing the screw for leverige. O and on ebay you can get a pack with metal and wooden weges ive used myself and would recomend them

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I use vine eyes or other people's discarded chisel blades for wedges - never had a problem drilling out the wood around the wedges to renew handles

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE