Metal detector advice anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks,
Adam is 12 today and has mostly been given money as gifts. He has over £100 and has requested some 'Staffordshire hoard' action :). I have suggested a good second hand detector would make a good beginner choice but thats where my advice and knowledge ends.
I know there are many forums on this subject but feel a little overwhelmed when scouring through them.

I guess he needs something that will grow with him size wise and functionality and which can differentiate between metals.

Any advice appreciated. Maybe you have a detector sitting gathering dust you wish to sell?

Cheers
Bodge

Sent from my battle droid

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Happy birthday to Adam from Joseph and I, hope he has a brilliant day. Can't help you with metal detectors, Scrumpy seems to know a lot about them though?

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Metal detecting has been one of my hobbies for as long as I can remember...so a bit of advice..
1..It can get real boring real quick, so kids dont always stick at it, so keep it cheap...ish
2..Nearly everyone starts with a garrett ace 150 or 250, widely available with prices at around £140 for an ace 150 and £190 for a 250..dunno about the 150 but the 250 seems pretty good and able to hold its own pretty much anywhere other than wet sand.

Seeing as you are in staffordshire try this guy, I have dealt with him before and he is knowledgeable and friendly
http://staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk

He also has a lot of secondhand which might be a better bet..
Hope that helps.

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Bodge,

Salaud's advice is good, search for NCMD, National Council for Metal Detecting and you will be able to find your nearest club and get from them info on rallys etc.

My club (Cumbria) welcomes younger members.

Hobby magazines are Treasure Hunter & Searcher, monthly and less than £4 each.

Anything else? let me know.

Cheers

Boots

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE