Metal detecting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Just wondered if anyone here was into metal detecting? I got a detector a couple of years ago but have only used it a couple of times and failed to turn up anyhting worth metnioning. Anyone tried this before or had any nice finds?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have never done any metal detecting other than what I did in the military: Mine field breaching! I did once use a mine detector to find a silver necklace and it worked brilliantly. I used to see guys roaming Southsea beach in the summer with metal detectors when I lived in Portsmouth. They said they found all sorts from watches and wallets to beer cans and bullets from the nearby range. I think they were just using it as an excuse to go down to the nudist beach!

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I have the worlds largest colection of useless trash dug up from the local beach.
Like you i bought mine a couple of years ago (good idea at the time)but im thinking of
taking it out in the canoe when visiting lochs with islads and having a go there.
Soloman.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I've used mine up beside where there was an old shooting range pre ww2 and found some nice old bullets but that's all i've found. Can't say i envy trying to find mines anyway that's for sure. I'm happy in my bubble without worrying what goes on outside of it lol.
The problem with the beaches up here is that nobody tends to stay here too long as it's always way too cold and the north sea just eats everything up anyway never to be seen again. Might have to find some old land that has some history and go detecting there.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I used to do a bit. In terms of finding things of value, top of the list is probably finding lost excavator bucket teeth and pins a few years back when I worked in a quarry. Not quite as glamorous as buried treasure, but there we go.
I did go right over the ruins of an old farmhouse once. Found a couple coins, all early 20th century, but maybe 200 rusty nails, bits of wheel rim, rusted bits of farm machinery and plenty more unidentifiable scraps of metal to go along with them. Decided at that point it wasn't worth it!!
The key to finding really interesting things is prob much less about metal detecting than serious research beforehand. I reckon with some time spent in a local library or on the internet you could come up with some new places... roman paths, ancient settlements etc, that could probably yeild a huge amount of stuff. Then though of course there'd be the issue of getting permission to actually dig there...

D

Deleted dude 7861

I used to a lot, mostly found old buckles dating back to tudor times, gunshot from muskets etc but nothing exciting coinwise just common old pennies and things. Once found a diamond ring though ;-) Plenty of Roman activity near me but haven't dragged the detector out in years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE