Metal Detecting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Hello, I'm attending this year's bushmoot (my first) and wondered if metal detecting on site is permitted. Thanks. JB

Just don't detect with your finger JB, everything metal in Bushcraft is razor sharp!!

I've just acquired a couple of old metal detectors so you may end up doing a workshop. ;)

Mulling over the idea of a little treasure hunt for the young stampede that is sometimes seen on site.

See you at the NC, say hi.

Chef

Jul 11, 2016
Manchester
I'm not attending the bushmoot but I'd be really interested in learning more about metal detecting. Any chance to could do a little write up?
Sam

No trees were destroyed sending this post. However a few electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Who owns the site? To whom all finds should be reported.Very important and I hope one of those unfair contracts would not be used to deny the land owner knowledge of and ownership of any finds. Of course metal detecting is fun, losing historical information is not.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Apart from a few shillings, florins and a stash of old thruppeny bits, all I ever found was ring pulls. The days before the fixed ones now used to rip right off and would always get chucked.

I was was made well aware of digging and taught to use the signal to locate things accurately and to use a small trowel. Apart from the beach at low tide in Elmer. Didn't realise it's a hot bed for for iron pyrites and iron ore, thought I was going to be a millionaire. :lmao:

Wouldnt mind getting back into it, it's good fun.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have a Whites spectra v3i metal detector and would like to join a local club or go on organised meets.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mine was years ago, a C-Scope if I remember correctly. The tech has come on a bit I'd imagine, but once I knew which part of the lad was sensitive, I did get the hand of it. Apart from the cast iron bath tub, I tended to be fairly careful with my digs. That bath tub really was a painful joke :(

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just as we have prohibitions on certain wild camping posts may it be considered applying the same to metal detecting. It is at least as controversial if not more so. The idea that they are "Citizen archaeologists", for example, is ludicrous.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Just as we have prohibitions on certain wild camping posts may it be considered applying the same to metal detecting. It is at least as controversial if not more so. The idea that they are "Citizen archaeologists", for example, is ludicrous.

Clearly you do have a lot to say but what in the name of RM did the poor Op and the contributors to date do to warrant this in response to a very simple question?

While you’re about it why not post a list of intolerances that you consider BCUK should slap a prohibition notice on.

Hell, no wonder this site is so very 'slow' of late.

K

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I have got a very large brush that can be used for tarring if anyone wants to borrow it

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So - just to be clear Boatman. You're proposing that anytime anyone posts a thread about any pastime or activity we ensure that we include somewhere in that thread a post which stipulates the legalities of said hobby? Or - should we apply such measures to only activities that you take umbridge with?

#killjoy #soapbox

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/ethics-acquisition/

Seems strange that some are exercised by an overnight sleep on someone else's land that leaves no trace but are perhaps indifferent to the actual property of a landowner being removed either without consent or under the guise of an unfair contract.

Has anybody on the thread suggested that they should ignore the property rights of the owner? I took the whole premise of the thread to be quite the opposite; my understanding was basically that the OP seemed to want to know if the landowner had given permission.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
So - just to be clear Boatman. You're proposing that anytime anyone posts a thread about any pastime or activity we ensure that we include somewhere in that thread a post which stipulates the legalities of said hobby? Or - should we apply such measures to only activities that you take umbridge with?

#killjoy #soapbox
There are a lot of pastimes mentioned on this forum that have potential illegalities pointed out., I mentioned wild camping but there have been similar posts on carrying knives, hobo fishing, bow fishing and others. So I suppose the answer to your question is yes as that is what happens but not only activities that I don't like of course.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Has anybody on the thread suggested that they should ignore the property rights of the owner? I took the whole premise of the thread to be quite the opposite; my understanding was basically that the OP seemed to want to know if the landowner had given permission.

Exactly!

Please bring your metal detector JB if for nothing more than to share your knowledge with other interested parties. We can plant stuff for practice/tuition and for fun for the kids perhaps.

I'll bring my new acquisitions for that purpose too.

Ta.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE