Wanted Metal detecting stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Be careful it is addictive. And expensive.

I’ve been skipping around getting back into this for years and managing to avoid it. I had a C-Scope as a kid and lived in an old village. Found a few farthings and old thrupences, and in those days many ring pulls. It’s great fun, I need to try to ignore this thread.;)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Too late I recon - it's already got me looking.

So what is a half decent unit that's not going to cost the earth but will actually do something worthwhile? Occasional use, not dedicated detectorist stuff.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Too late I recon - it's already got me looking.

So what is a half decent unit that's not going to cost the earth but will actually do something worthwhile? Occasional use, not dedicated dectorist stuff.

Here's a supplier who do decent starter machines from a variety of makers Broch.

Regton Metal Detectors

I had dealings with them when I used to go decting and they were a good company then but bear in mind there's other suppliers as well.

As for machines I used to use Tersoro and C-Scope, both of which were great machines.

Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bumpo

Also looking into sweeping fields for hours to make an interesting collection of ring pulls ( 1981... Fanta .. )

How many active detectorists do we have on the forum?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bumpo

Also looking into sweeping fields for hours to make an interesting collection of ring pulls ( 1981... Fanta .. )

How many active detectorists do we have on the forum?
No Fanta in cans here in the 80’s, or not that I remember (doesn’t count for much if I’m honest). Orange Fanta was a ‘holiday drink’ in bottles. We had Lilt (the totally tropical taste), TAB, Coke, Solo, Pepsi, Tizer, various shandies and cherryades.

I have acquired a detector, a Minelab Vanquish 340. Supposed to be an excellent starter model and a good brand, but I haven’t been out with it much. There are a lot of old footpaths and estate tracks around here, but the estates aren’t keen on granting permission for detecting. I did do a bit of a search on the village green where the fete is held each year, around the pavilion is where they have the bar so I thought I’d find a few coins. Unfortunately the bar mainly serves the beer in crown top bottles, so I found quite a few of those instead. :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Picked one up the other day - expect to spend some time looking intently at the ground at my feet with earphones on sweeping the ground and having fantasies of finding treasure troves.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
“Detectorists” on BBC is one of the best, well written, heart warming and funny shows I’ve seen.

Nearly got me giving it a go but like a lot us… too many hobbies.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
“Detectorists” on BBC is one of the best, well written, heart warming and funny shows I’ve seen.

Nearly got me giving it a go but like a lot us… too many hobbies.

This is exactly why I picked it up - its not really for me but for a friend I was watching the show with.

I agree ref the show , heart warming is the right word - definitely deserves to be watched

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Which one did you get in the end?

Garrett ACE 200

It was 2nd hand of FB Market place and I set a budget of £100 - it was up for £125.

I think when trying new hobbies its best to start with just the little toe ( financially speaking ) before dunking the whole leg it. :)

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE