Meta-50 Stove Mods (pic heavy)

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Hello everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for a great site, it's been extremely useful to pick up tips and tricks over the last few months, and thought it was time to share some of my labours.

I picked up a tatty Swiss army cooker a while back, the Meta-50, which I have to say is an extremely well designed piece of kit. What makes it better than the Trangia type ranges IMO, are the sloped sides to the pots, which give you more horizontal area to collect heat from the fuel, making it more efficient. With a coke can meths burner, I got a rolling boil from 1 1/2 pints in just under 5 minutes on a pretty cold evening.

What I wanted to do, was couple this system with a wood gas stove I'd made out of a paint tin and a baked bean can. The problem was that I needed to raise the top wind shield to accommodate the height of the paint tin. So with my trusty dremmel, I started to hack in on some bit's I'd earmarked for the task. In this case a stainless steel pot I got from the pound store.

In the process, I added a couple of other additions, like the skewer rack made out of coat hanger wire, and slightly modding a collapsible steamer to use charcoal on.

It all seems a little over the top I guess. One of the concerns I had with just using meths, was being able to simmer stuff, or have some sort of control over the heat produced. Anyway, I thought I'd show you all the same....

The stove(s) packed. There is a leather strap which holds it all together not shown.
100_1271.jpg

With the frying pan off.
100_1272.jpg

Unpacked.
100_1273.jpg

Set up, without the pans.
100_1281.jpg

With the steamer/coal grate.
100_1282.jpg

The collar mod. This works really well, the lip left on the steel pot rim actually locks onto the top windshield, making it all quite sturdy. You can pick the whole thing up from the top.
100_1277.jpg

Wood gas stove configuration.
100_1275.jpg

With the meths burner.
100_1276.jpg

Finally, the set up allows me to have three separate stoves at the same time.
100_1286.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Nice piece of work Hetzen, that's awesome! Puts my Ikea hobo stove to shame...

BTW, where did you get the Meta-50 from? I've been looking for one of them.

Claudiasboris

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I really like that you've created a complete system with great versatility, without spending a lot of money, but by forethought and skill! - Brilliant!
happy0034.gif

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Thank you. It was a good little exercise to work out.

@Claudiasboris - I took a punt on a German e-bay auction, with the help of Google translation, mein deutsch ist attrocious, from these guys.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schweizer-Arm...hZ025QQcategoryZ40805QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Got to warn you though, the auction pic is far more complimentry than the actual item. Also, I tried to add a poncho to make up the shipping weight allowance, and got charged twice, rather than combined. After two attempts at e-mailing the error with the aid of Google translation, the reply was that the items had been sent. When they arrived two days later, I found that they had thrown in a full length rain jacket. It seemed like too much bother to complain.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE