• A billy can

Votes: 43 86.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
This day im geetting a some new messtins, ive used these all the time o nmy duke of edinburgh etc but have noticed a lot of people use billy cans i was wondering what people think is the best of the both.

Ryan

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'd say mess tins were best if you intend to cook on a stove rather than an open fire and Billy Can for the other way round.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are both good, hard to pick an overall winner. On an solo overnighter I take mess tins, I can store some instant tea/sugar, a Vesta beef risotto, KFS and mars bar in them, ideal as they are compact and fit the front pouch of my Bergen perfectly. If I'm with my lad, Luke, I need big billy cans as the boy consumes vast amounts of food;)

Billy cans are easy to hang over a fire, but the mess tins are fine on hot embers, I would say, get both:cool:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Again, with all things on this site, there is no real "best" as such... just what each individual prefers.

I prefer a billy can as I can hang it, or just shove it on the fire... I use the little bowl thing with a pot lifter to fry things too. As it's stainless it takes all the abuse I throw at it and still laughs at me.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've used mess tins for years, but I don't anymore - they're just too easy to spill if you're using them on a fire. Plus it's a real pain finding somewhere stable for them.

The worst one is when you go to lift your loaded mess tin off the fire and the handle bends, dumping half your meal and ruining your fire.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I voted billy - I've had a mess tin for more years than I can mention (was my Dads) but don't think I have ever used it! - I like the way the two nest together and that it is squareish and easy to pack things into but a billy always seemed the natural shape.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have voted billy, as it can be both hung up and placed on a surface (e.g. grid or coals), though I am very sentimental about my old set of mess tins from 1982.

Geoff

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
rik_uk3
They are both good, hard to pick an overall winner. On an solo overnighter I take mess tins, I can store some instant tea/sugar, a Vesta beef risotto, KFS and mars bar in them, ideal as they are compact and fit the front pouch of my Bergen perfectly. If I'm with my lad, Luke, I need big billy cans as the boy consumes vast amounts of food

Billy cans are easy to hang over a fire, but the mess tins are fine on hot embers, I would say, get both

Can't really add much to Rik's comment, It's really horses for courses (excuse the pun :D )

like em both but use billys more.

Kev

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Billy.
It has the advantage of having a lid which may double as a small pan. No smoke and ash dropping into your water or food, and it boils quicker with a lid.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
A difficult one for SA Trangia owners as it's a billy with a mess tin as a lid.:) I voted billy though because essentially the SA Trangia is a billy (I suppose). Even without a SA Trangia I would get a billy for the reasons everyone has said before.

It was quite amusing (in a sadistic kind of way) to see new recruits in the army try to throw away water from their shiny new mess tins by holding on to just the handle only to find the mess tin spin around and cover them with the contents. :D

Pablo.

I prefer a small steel wok (you can stirfry just about any thing :D ) but you do need a kettle or billy as well to boil water

ive still got my Mess tin its the small one with the bottom painted black and the larger one cut off as lid / plate inside is a tupperware thats fits exactly and has the brew kit n condiments Ideal for Army rations not so good for other stuff i find

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE