'Messenger' style bag with backpack straps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Morning all

For my travel carry solution I'm after a shoulder bag that can be converted to a day pack (rucksack). Reason being, when carrying a large backpack a shoulder bag is great as you can reach it easily for travel documents and the like not to mention keeping valuables close, it also carts the heavier items (I use it for hand luggage also).

What I'd love is for it to become a day-pack once at location. I have used the shoulder bag for that but I find when loaded up with water, supplies etc, over a long distance it puts uneven stress on my back and doesn't balance me well in harder terrain, not to mention it swinging out on steep inclines (incredibly unsafe) plus the slight niggle of it bumping around as you walk.

So I found the following product that nearly fits the bill http://www.timbuk2bags.co.uk/messenger-bags-c115/ram-laptop-messenger-bag-black-p597

(It needs to have a padded laptop section)

Have any of you guys seen a product that is a bit more bushy, by that I mean not really in aesthetic but more in materials, cordura of the like i.e. something a bit tougher.

e.g. The SF range 1000 Denier Nylon.

I have a feeling that the timbuk2 bag may be the solution but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers - Dan.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I believe the Maxpedition shoulder/laptop bags can be used as rucksacks if needed. They'll be plenty tough but if you are travelling to far flung places they will suggest that you have stuff worth stealing. :)

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
I believe the Maxpedition shoulder/laptop bags can be used as rucksacks if needed. They'll be plenty tough but if you are travelling to far flung places they will suggest that you have stuff worth stealing. :)

Exactly one of the considerations, that's why the WW1 gas mask bag has been fine up until now but with now needing to carry a laptop and needing a bit more capacity, I need to move on. (and I hate moving on, my wee bag is my very close friend !!)

I remember mates at school (who's parents could afford them) getting brand new Doc martens and smashing 'em in with bricks so they didn't look so new. Perhaps distressing the new bag is an option, although it'll be filthy in a matter of moments I'm sure :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That's tricky, a bag which you can do both with would be handy at times.

The Other arms is both carried in the hand and has rucksack straps...Bit too big for you, I think

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have something very similar to the one you posted, but at 40ltrs, its probably larger than you need. Its the outdoors voyager, don't know if they are still made, or come in a smaller size, but may be worth googling.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE