Mess time for the navy?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Encouraged by the photos posted recently by Hugh I thought i'd post this - took it this weekend and quite happy with it :eek:

URL%5D

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Not shopped at all mate! ;) - If it dosn't look good naturally I don't bother! (to be honest I can't be fagged messing about with it and anyway I don't want to spend time learning how to use it! :eek:

Generally the limit to my post photo editing is rotating it and the odd crop ;):sulkoff:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Graham
I mis-read the title as "Mess tin for the navy" and popped in out of curiosity!
Glad I did, excellent photo. Did you use special kit or just have an eye for composition.
Alan
(a digital snapper)

rancid badger

I like it and it doesn't look "shopped" to me at all:confused:
Am I right in thinking that they are burdock flowers it's feeding on?
excuse the ignorance but whats the navy got to do with it?
I assume its something to do with the species of butterfly:22:

all the best
R.B.

Not shopped at all mate! ;) - If it dosn't look good naturally I don't bother! (to be honest I can't be fagged messing about with it and anyway I don't want to spend time learning how to use it! :eek:

Generally the limit to my post photo editing is rotating it and the odd crop ;):sulkoff:

really? interesting, what was the light like? it's not often it's crisp enough to make the colours so defined.

i'm stuck with slow lenses up north, so it's not often that i get an opportunity like that. :(

i'm with you on the post-processing too. i love photoshop, but photo editing is fiddly and repetitive so i prefer not to bother either.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Graham
I mis-read the title as "Mess tin for the navy" and popped in out of curiosity!
Glad I did, excellent photo. Did you use special kit or just have an eye for composition.
Alan
(a digital snapper)

was taken hand held with a fuji s9500 on full zoom (effectivly 600mm) and was the last pic I took before the battery went phut! :cussing:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I like it and it doesn't look "shopped" to me at all:confused:
Am I right in thinking that they are burdock flowers it's feeding on?
I assume its something to do the species of butterfly:22:

all the best
R.B.

It was thistles of some flavour and with tight frameing you have no idea there is a horrible metal barn behind it ;)

and the 'fly is a Red Admiral hence the nautical link:sulkoff:

really? interesting, what was the light like? it's not often it's crisp enough to make the colours so defined.

i'm stuck with slow lenses up north, so it's not often that i get an opportunity like that. :(

i'm with you on the post-processing too. i love photoshop, but photo editing is fiddly and repetitive so i prefer not to bother either.

Was bright sunshine which obviously helped and also goes to show that the worst time of day to take photos is midday ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I assume its something to do with the species of butterfly:22:

all the best
R.B.
I think that it's a Vanessa atalanta the Red Admiral butterfly
too slow, that will teach me to check before putting my foot in my mouth with a wrong id

It was thistles of some flavour and with tight frameing you have no idea there is a horrible metal barn behind it ;)

Was bright sunshine which obviously helped and also goes to show that the worst time of day to take photos is midday ;)

i'm not sure it is a thistle, you know. that's what i assumed it was when i first saw it, but i just looked at some pics of burdock flowers/leaves and they look remarkably similar. you can see the little hooks (oh how i hate them in autumn :eek: ) on the ends of the spines.

so if you go back, dig up the roots, grill them a little and have a lunchtime snack. :D

aye, and everything seems to go mysteriously quiet around midday, too.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
i'm not sure it is a thistle, you know. that's what i assumed it was when i first saw it, but i just looked at some pics of burdock flowers/leaves and they look remarkably similar. you can see the little hooks (oh how i hate them in autumn :eek: ) on the ends of the spines.

so if you go back, dig up the roots, grill them a little and have a lunchtime snack. :D

aye, and everything seems to go mysteriously quiet around midday, too.

You could be right! - I'll be back there in a week or so and i'll check ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE