Meru Billy can

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Just wondering if anyone has used one of these as I am becoming quite tempted ;)

http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?mod_nr=127442&k_id=1208&hot=0

jpg_xl_window.php.jpg

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I use the Highlander too, its a usefull size and the Coleman gas cartridge fits perfectly inside it.
Colin.

Having just had another look at the Meru, it looks exactly the same as the Highlander, but more expensive.

Hi Colin, Im very interested in the highlander set, would you recomend it? Is the size caused you any problems?
How good is the fry pan?
Cheers
Steve

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Colin, Im very interested in the highlander set, would you recomend it? Is the size caused you any problems?
How good is the fry pan?
Cheers
Steve

No problems with it, but to be honest the copper bottom does'nt make much difference when using the Coleman gas and pocket rocket, over S/S. That said I could'nt fault it for a 1 or 2 overnighter. At eight quid you cant do much better.
Regards Colin.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The copper on most of these pans is just a thin plating for effect and makes no significant difference in use.

Unless the base is thick it will not spread heat and avoid hot spots.

It's one of the things that attracted me to the Primus frying pan that has a laminated aluminium base. It's heavy but at least it does a proper job.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The copper on most of these pans is just a thin plating for effect and makes no significant difference in use.

Unless the base is thick it will not spread heat and avoid hot spots.

It's one of the things that attracted me to the Primus frying pan that has a laminated aluminium base. It's heavy but at least it does a proper job.

Do you have enough experience with that to do a review Gary? My favourite non-stick pan got itself destroyed at a recent meet and I'm in the market for another. Am I right in thinking that the Primus one is 22cm diameter? That's a bit on the small side for one of my breakfasts (even though Primus claims 2-3 people!!!) but I could probably manage. :rolleyes:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
First point is that it's not non stick so it needs to be seasoned a bit for best results.

Arctic_Cooking_Kit.jpg

It was the only pan I had in Norway that spread the heat enough for decent cooking over a Trangia stove unit.

It is a bit small for a full breakfast over a fire. I have bigger pans for that job.

I'd say it's a good compact pan, if a little heavy for the lightweight brigade and it's a good companion pan for the Primus billy can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE