Merino wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,

Quick question about merino wool.

I would love to get some nice wool power etc tops and stuff.

But what I want to no is if anyone knows if there is and real differences between say a wool power top and a normal thin jumper made from 100% merino wool?

I was thinking if it needs to be a base layer that maybe buying a size smaller than you usually take would obviously keep it close to your skin and more fitting like an expensive wool power top, would that work?

Cheers
Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't see why they wouldn't work Steve, I think Pete wears a few cashmere bits as base layers.

Woolpower, Icebreaker and Smartwool use ratings for their products, much the same as sleeping bags. Woolpower 600 range is much warmer, thicker, bulkier and therefore heavier than their 200 range. The same with Icebreaker, I think their lightest is the 150 range then up to about 300 I think, it's been a while since I bought any Icebreaker kit.
The weave is quite loose on my WP tops, my old 200 crew which I've worn for almost every trip over the last 7 or so years, is just about shot now, it's almost verging on thread bare in a couple of places. Once it finally dies I'll buy another one though, they're that good.

One thing with the Woolpower stuff is they try to make the seams as flat as possible, you'll probably find them more pronounced on a regular sweater, that might lead to chafing under the arms etc. But I recon there's some gems out there to be had.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Woolpower-Zipper-Green2.jpg

The woolpower, Icebreaker, Termo, Helly's thermal base layers also have Terry loops (like a bathtowel) on the inside of the material.

Finding the same construction and as Rich says, with low chafe seams for a lower price is going to be very tricky.

I use the cashmere because it is not itchy, much lighter and tolerates a bit more moisture than normal wool, I also use Lidl's Angorra/wool/nylon blend thermals-doubled up, they work in a similar way to the terry loops. The static build up they get actually starts to seperate the layers a little and the lack of terry loops is somewhat counteracted by extra warmth of Angora rabbit hairs compared to wool (they are hollow like reindeer hairs).

They are a bit itchy until you get used to them and make you look like you've done something you shouldn't have with a cage full of rabbits :yikes:

Although they work for me because I run hot, I don't believe there is anything as good, including my skinflint sytem that work as well as terry looped wool in the cold a with zipped neck for ventilation.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I personally don't think there is much difference apart from the fact that wool power icebreaker etc can be worn next to the skin, they have been designed to feel more like silk than wool, but then their spinning processes are very hi-tech in order to achieve this silk like feel and this is reflected in the prices. I also like cashmere, uniqlo do some great and affordable lightweight cashmere tops that can be used near to the skin, though they are nowhere near as lightweight or silky as wool power, icebreaker etc.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
As said earlier Steve id spend the cash on a base and replace mid layers with jumpers due to the seam construction. They had some long sleeve trekmates merino bases in go outdoors when i was in on Thursday for £30.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
my woolpower has been well worth the inital outlay - its outlasted all my other kit by a good mile

Elen Sentier

Love the WD40 & moths posts :lmao:

Back to business - I use angora in the winter and find it excellent. I use it against the skin and have no problems although I have very sensitive skine due to the RA meds. I've worn it solid (day & night) for a week in the Orkneys and I still don't stink! And I sweat very well again due to the meds. It's ultralight, ultrasoft. I get mine from M&S ... but you will still need to kill off those moths :rolleyes:

I'm looking at this, from Patra silk, I use silk a lot too, excellent for non-stinky socks that don't give you blisters as well as thermals. The silk-merino combination looks good. I know it says "women" but they do it in XL and it doesn't have a specially booby-shape but is quite loose which I like. I think it'll be good and long too, so covering my cold butt !!!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Only woolpower have the terry loops on the inside and these do improve wicking, insulation and general performance.

As for icebreaker et al, there is precious little difference between them and a merino jumper you might find in a charity shop. I have both and use both for the same things and find there is no difference - except in the price of course. Silk is also very good - lighter and cooler than merino. I also like linen.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Only woolpower have the terry loops on the inside and these do improve wicking, insulation and general performance.

As for icebreaker et al, there is precious little difference between them and a merino jumper you might find in a charity shop. I have both and use both for the same things and find there is no difference - except in the price of course. Silk is also very good - lighter and cooler than merino. I also like linen.

Icebreaker and Termo do terry wool too, I'm sure HH does or used to but can't find the link. Here's another cheaper terry wool thermal. Smartwool also do some terry wool kit.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Treadlightly, I like linen too but can be heavier ... I seem to be in gram-counter mood :).

Shewie, silk really does work a treat.

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Do silk socks breath very well Elen? I didnt even realise you could get silk socks tbh!!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Treadlightly, I like linen too but can be heavier ... I seem to be in gram-counter mood :).

Shewie, silk really does work a treat.

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

I have linen shirts that are the same weight as icebreaker merino tops.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Patra kit is top notch - been using it for years, worth the investment. Silk is warm in winter cool in summer and wicks extremely well. Follow the washing instructions + be aware that silk although hard wearing, needs to be treated with respect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE