Merino tops

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Im following that eternal quest for a top thats not going to honk like a dead dog after a day or so of wear and keep hearing good stuff about merino. After a few hours of googling, it occurred to me that I cant be alone in this quest.

So.... can anyone recommend a basic/cheap merino top (Im not a label addict).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you're on about base layers then keep a look out for the Aldi Merino ones.

I think I paid about £20 for the top and matching bottoms about 3 years ago and they're still going strong :)

As an alternative to merino have a look at the Endicott's Bamboo thermal top. Just as smooth and soft as merino and again can be worn for some time without absorbing your odour.

Usual disclaimer of just being a satisfied customer etc :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Aldi also do bamboo "T" shirts from time to time. Keep an eye out at tkmaxx, i got 2 from there both by merrell a long sleeve zip top & regular "T".

Rob

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
+1 on the Aldi tops, great value.

Charity shops often have merino sweaters in, paid £4 for the last one :D Charity shop Cashmere sweaters are my fave though. No itch at all, very light and quick drying.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Thumbs up for Merino. If you want cheap you can usually find them now and again in charity shops along with wool and cashmere jumpers. I still use an icebreaker I bought for £6 two years ago. TK max is always worth a look. Last week mountain warehouse were selling then on sale for £19.99 down from £50. Try them on first I had to go for xl whereas I normally have med or large.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Not the cheapest at £28, but I've just bought a MOCO top which has the same "no pong" properties but dries upto 50 times quicker than pure Marino.
It's 70% coconut husk fibres and 30% Morino.

EdS

Don't forget there is merino wool which can be any part ofthe fleece and then there is superfine merino --- with a Bradford Count of 80-90 (19um in new money)

Its superfine that is the real non ichy stuff. Most cheap (andeven some of the well known expensive brands) dont use 100% superfine in there baselayers.

S

sj101

I've got a few bits from Gooutdoors before. They've got some Smartwool tops in for just over £20.00 at the moment but the discount card scheme they do is rather annoying.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just be aware that alot of these merino tops have very little merino content, some good buys though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

bearbait

I use Trekmates Merino Ts extensively, their long-sleeves in winter, and their longjohns occasionally. Not quite as fine a wool as Icebreaker but a more convenient price. I use them from temperate climates through to much hotter desert areas and they're good for several days. You can smell they've been used but they never seem to get rank. Nice to put on a clean one after a few days though! I have yet to try merino nix.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Look in charity shops for things like Pringle/Marks & Spencer merino golf jumpers/sweaters, pick them up for three or four quid. Nobody is going to see them as a base layer should the 'loud' patterns be a put off.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Look in charity shops for things like Pringle/Marks & Spencer merino golf jumpers/sweaters, pick them up for three or four quid. Nobody is going to see them as a base layer should the 'loud' patterns be a put off.

Good advice. If you do this you'll find that the weight of them will be slightly more than the branded merino base layers but that's no big drawback with winter coming. Also check they are long enough to tuck in to trousers without budging - important in keeping warm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE