Membership

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
It appears to me that there are a lot of rewards to scout membership. Your able to use decent scout campsites that allow fires etc.

How do i become a scout association member. i have very limited free time to devote to a scout group. Any advice on the types of membership avaliable. i am assuming i will have to pay for the police records check myself.

Do i need to bring specific skills, qualifications to bear?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Wayne, have a look at www.scoutbase.org.uk and look at the adult support section which will give you details of how to proceed. You could also contact your local district team who will advise you.
i'm a parent helper, we do a minimum of four camps a year, weekends, bank holidays, 6-10 day summer camp etc. It gives me the opportunity to use various scout sites around the U.K. plus to introduce a bit more Bushcraft into the programme for the Kids.Most of them really look forward to these aspects in camp.
If you have a local camp site you could see the warden and offer to do some voluntary work i.e. path making, clearance work, etc and gain access to the site that way, sites are always looking for help.
Good luck

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Another option if you haven't time available to dedicate to a group, is to join your local District Fellowship. Fellowship members act as a sort of support crew for distrcit activities - or at least that's how it works in my district. Lithril was asking similar questions recently, it's possible he might be able to give you more info.

As to the rewards of scouting... one of the biggest ones is seeing lads and lasses grow into adults that you're proud to know. Another is the look on their faces when they suddenly realise that not only is a seemingly impossible task possible, they are capable of doing it themselves.

John

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Very interesting, I'd like to do something similar too. Can any body suggest who to contact initially about volunteering in my area (south east).

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Follow this link: http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/index.php

Press the "How do I Join" button in the top left hand corner to get to a form that you can fill in on-line. Here is an exerpt from the Adult "find out more" button on that page:

Adult Volunteers
Leaders - At all stages, Leaders work with the young people they lead. They provide young people with exciting and challenging experiences and then help them use those experiences in their personal and social development. Leaders are encouraged to develop their own skills through formal and informal training experiences and sharing ideas with each other. (Age Range 18-65)

Management - The roles of Group Scout Leader and Commissioner are some of the most rewarding jobs in Scouting. They are responsible for ensuring that the young people in their care get the best Scouting that can be offered. 'GSL's' and Commissioners enjoy working with a team of adults towards a common aim and often find that the skills they develop through Scouting can help them in their work life. (Age Range 21-65)

Skills Instructors - Skills Instructors help Leaders with training young people on specific activities or interests such as swimming, cooking, climbing, computers or crafts. Becoming a Skills Instructor takes up less time than being a Leader, but many people often find that the role of Skills Instructor is a good introduction to Scouting and go on to be Leaders. Becoming a Skills Instructor is also an excellent opportunity to complete service projects for schemes like the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme. (Age Range 18 upwards)

Administrators and Committee Members - Besides all the other roles in Scouting, each Group, District and County will have a team of adults and young people who provide support chiefly with administration, and fund raising. These people take on the roles of Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary as well as any other role agreed upon locally. Again, training is available and people who take on these roles find that the training and experience they receive help them in their own personal development. (Age Range 18 upwards)

Supporters and Helpers - Adults often find that becoming an occasional Helper or Supporter is a rewarding way of offering a little of their spare time. The exact function of Helpers and Supporters will vary locally but examples are as wide ranging as making drinks for Beaver Scouts to driving minibuses for Explorer Scouts. Many Helpers and Supporters choose to join the Scout Fellowship - the Movement's 'active supporters club' - who not only help but also usually have an active social life. (Age Range 18 upwards)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thanks mate - be nice to give something back instead of just taking all the time like some poeple I can think of!

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
This week we are off to the Purbeck Hills for a week of camping and activities, namely Archery, rifle shooting, cliff climbing, rafting, Day hike plus backwoods cooking, camp gadgets and bivvying, everything cooked over open fires, sound familiar ?. Go on give it a go, as Womble says, we need all the help we can get.
With the drive for the Scouts to partake in more outdoor activities people with skills and knowledge( at any level ) who are willing to teach and help out , will I am sure, be made most welcome.
As I and a few others on here will testify, it also gives you a great opportunity to visit camp sites that have great woodlands, many will allow open fires, and a inroad to the Warden, in Autumn / winter are virtually empty so you can have the woods to yourself.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
steve a said:
This week we are off to the Purbeck Hills for a week of camping and activities, namely Archery, rifle shooting, cliff climbing, rafting, Day hike plus backwoods cooking, camp gadgets and bivvying, everything cooked over open fires, sound familiar ?.

I'm helping on a survival camp this weekend - natural shelters, firelighting without matches, open fire cooking without pots and pans (and in likleyhood rain..) all in a piece of private woodland held in trust by a local Group.

steve a said:
As I and a few others on here will testify, it also gives you a great opportunity to visit camp sites that have great woodlands, many will allow open fires, and a inroad to the Warden, in Autumn / winter are virtually empty so you can have the woods to yourself.

This is very true, and very useful!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE