Meindl Bhutan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
Thought I would review something I have actually been able to use. I bought these boots last month and they are an amazing piece of kit.
The lace system allows you to really shape the boot around your foot. They have great ankle support and are super comfortable.
I have been out wearing them for hours in snow, rain and literally stood in a river without any issue.
They are supposed to come already waxed but I noticed the water was seeping into the leather rather than balling and rolling off. I bought some sports wax and that sorted the issue perfectly.
The leather is new buck and therefore slightly lighter than seasoned leather. The wax will darken it so be aware if you ever plan on doing the same.
The pic is before and after applying the wax.
They are expensive (£220) but as I will mostly be hiking in the mountains I needed something I could trust to really look after my feet in the very worst of conditions. I really debated between the more modern looking and the classic leather as both can look great and am happy with my choice. Screenshot_20210129-225741_Gallery.jpg

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Critically, meindl comfort fit boots give me the width I need for my broken little toes. Mine are 4 years old, and still going strong, so well worth the money.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
We love our Bhutan's. Very comfortable, while still being supportive and waterproof.
We had their predecessors Burma's before these for over 10years and covered many miles, so when you break down the cost over their lifespan, they are good value.
We just give them the odd coat of nikwax.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Not sure what make my
meindl are but I’ve had them at least 15
Years and they are still going strong.
I use Kiwi polish most of the time and occasionally wax them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
HA, I had to check my email as I'd already forgotten which pair I'd ordered.
I will research something to death but when the decision is made most of the info dissapears from memory quickly.
The longevity you guys are all describing is great news. Now if the weather would just improve I could get out for a proper adventure.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My brother buys flat glued Meindl shoes every year because they are fantastically comfortable but fall in pieces pretty soon.

Meindl isn't like Meindl.
Not all is made in Germany.
Ortler is their best allround boot.
Perfekt and Super Perfekt are the best Mountain boots they offer.

These really last very long. And every shoemaker can put a new sole on them if it's needed after a decade. You need to break in them though.

Reactions: Billy-o

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My Meindl Vermont boots were bought in 2004 after I found the Burma's sole too stiff for my liking. I wanted something I could stalk in and that could flex when I squatted down. In 2019 the EVA mid-sole started to crumble and the simple passage of time since then has rendered them un-usable even though they have been worn little. Quite a disappointment since the uppers are still in fine shape, and the tread still has life. I have the boots that the Meindls replaced which used a different type of foam for the midsole that has not changed at all with time. I do hate how urethane ages!

Reactions: Mr Wolf

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I do hate how urethane ages
There are urethanes and then there are urethanes, as the name refers to the functionality that is used for polymerization it actually tells little else. Some are actually very high performance materials, the cheap ones not nearly so. As the three most important properties for a material in automotive industry are: price, price and price I suspect that holds for shoe materials also.

An other incarnation of the same phenomenom is the Tg (glass transition or hardening temp) of sole materials. Some well known makers use materials that harden at about -3C, the shoe becomes stiff and slippery and while not totally unusable still quite uncomfortable.

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@C_Claycomb

Meindl also offers to put a new sole on pricier modern glued boots.
You could ask them in your case.

But who wants to buy a new boot should get the Ortler, because it can be repaired in your own town.

Or a similar product of the competition of course:
Steinkogler, Hanwag, Völkl, Trabert, Gronell, Le Soulor, Schlandminger 100, Galibier / Paraboot, Geiger, Henri Canin, Limmer, Danner, Dundas, Zamberlan, Treeme , Remisberg, Alico and surely also some more in the world offer traditional made double stiched sewn all leather hiking boots, military and forest boots with easily replaceable soles.

I really ask myself why people discuss over hundreds of pages about knives and than just go into the next shop and buy overpriced glued boots.

If you can't see from outside minimum one seam at the sole it's a throw away article. Exceptions from this rule are very very rare.

Reactions: gg012 and Billy-o

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I bought a pair of these a few months ago. I’m very happy with them, although I find them a little narrow at the toe. Still, lightweight and very comfortable. Haven’t had a single blister or even a hot spot. They look really great after liberal application of Kiwi tan polish.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most better Meindl models are offered in 2 widths!

I am not really a Meindl fan but I have to admit that this is thought threw very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Athos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE