Medlars

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Have aquired a few lbs of said fruit. Bletting nicely...question is, apart from jelly, and chutney with the usual varied spices and additional fruits, what else can I try with them???

An aquired taste no doubt, but looking for something a bit different...

medlarscopy.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never tried one- have heard they are delicious

Bet I could do a nice jelly out of them since they need to blet. My lavender jelly turned out well so it can't be that hard

Im amswer to your question, why not a medlar lolly - whiz up the bletted medlar, push through seive and freeze. Bet you will be the first person in the world to try one since they have been out of fashion for a hundred years!

Red

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Never tried one- have heard they are delicious

Im amswer to your question, why not a medlar lolly - whiz up the bletted medlar, push through seive and freeze. Bet you will be the first person in the world to try one since they have been out of fashion for a hundred years!
Red

I'm surprised Red, really thought you'd be there with first hand experience...I've made jelly before, and with the stronger meats like venison, lamb and pheasant it is a wonderful compliment...that said, love the idea of medlar ices...thats gonna be a winner...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've always wanted to find a tree - its one of two that are missing that I really want to get to know - the other being a wild service tree. One day.

That said I sat, in my paddock, the other day and watched a marsh harrier hunt. Not many people can say that any more :(

Red

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A mate of mine has 3 or 4 trees of them, and he gave me a batch a fortnight ago, so they are about ready now. I've never had them before, so I was going for the good old jelly option. Looking forward to it.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Forced day off work due to car probs, so thought I'd make the most of it, and cracked on with the medlar jelly (the ice lolly tried and not to be repeated...thanks Red; think I found out why its not been made for a hundred years or so...LOL). That said, medlar scooped out of the skin untreated went well with stilton cheese...go figure...

Anyhoo cut the medlars in half
medlars001copy.jpg

And into pan with enough water to cover with a couple of Bramlies to simmerfor 40 mins or so...
medlars002copy.jpg

transferred the mash to a jelly bag (net curtain) and allow to drip
medlars003copy.jpg

which is where it will stay for several hours to collect the clear liquor until the next stage...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry for the "bum steer" Stovie. :(

Missed your follow up post with the offer ....

I'm sure you will do them justice. Most importantly, if I do ever get some...I won't try a stupid idea like lollies :D

Red

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Stovie,

Have you tried to use as a substitute for figs, banana etc. There are plenty of recipes you could try.

Now there's a thought...Figs I like, bananas I dont...Interestingly the flavour is far less pungent than many would have you believe...the aroma not unlike crab apple, which of course medlars are related...

Ps, thanks to the mod that corrected my typo in the title...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Red, no need to apologise...worth a try, but just not worth a conversion :)
Might try dumping the residue in some water and producing some wine though...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I like them as they are, but appreciate I'm one of a few on that!

The jelly goes particularly well with pork, but I'm quite happy to eat it on toast too.

I recently found this which looks worth a go and might interest you:

http://www.historicfood.com/medlar cheese recipe.htm

Al

Thanks for that Al. i was going to add the pulp to chutney, but will definately use some for the "cheese" recipe...appeciated.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
currently in the middle of making medlar cheese. Jelly is complete and jarred...will post pics later when i've stopped stirring the cheese...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Transferred the medlar liquor to the pan and brought to the boil, adding sugar when boiling

the clear liquor
medlars004copy.jpg

Rapid boil for about 15 mins
medlars006copy.jpg

checked for setting...note the rippled surface
medlars008copy.jpg

bottled..
medlars009copy.jpg

Next, thought i'd have a go at the Medlar Cheese, so pressed the pulp through a seive
medlars005copy.jpg

This gave a smooth base to which I added sugar and spices
medlars010copy.jpg

Cooked and continuously stirred until it reduced to the consistancy shown
medlars011copy.jpg

Used small dishes as don't have twee jelly moulds...Just have to cut slices as it is very rich...but very tasty...
medlars013copy.jpg

Christmas is coming, I can smell the mulled cider, the venison, the cake, and now the medlar jelly and cheese...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What about the pudding? Got to do mine soon :)

The jelly looks great. I did lavender jelly a while back as a special request. Tastes..well....lavendery.

How does the cheese taste?

Red

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
What about the pudding? Got to do mine soon :)

The jelly looks great. I did lavender jelly a while back as a special request. Tastes..well....lavendery.

How does the cheese taste?

Red

Still have a pudding from last year...I make two every couple of years, and the second is always the best...

the cheese has a "fig like" texture and the sweet richness of a well matured christmas cake...Its quite fabulous...not sure if I have over reduced it...will have to see tomorrow with the "tester"...I will try and turn it out...fingers crossed...But it will make a great accompaniment to a good strong cheddar or well matured stilton with port...God I'm hungry...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah you need some elderberry port mate. Its only just clearing now, but its come out very well this year :D

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Looks good Stovie!

I should be doing mine this weekend if all goes according to plan.

Definitely need to get a Medlar in my orchard instead of getting my fruit from a neighbour.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE