Medikit try out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I have read several posts on here about what should be in a first aid kit and some on the kind of pouch/container to keep it all in. I think a good idea for anyone preparing a first aid kit is to give it a try out. Act out certain situations and see if you can use your medi kit in anger.

The last time i was in the woods way back in August (much to my dismay. but thats married life/fatherhood for you) i was whittling a spoon using my axe on wet wood when the axe slipped and went into my left index finger knuckle. It didnt hurt much at the time but seemed to bleed plenty. Anyway luckily i always have my first aid kit handy whenever i touch a bladed implement. The problem was that my first aid is a little zipped pouch packed solid. It was incredibly difficult to open it, get what i needed out and then try to put it all back in and zip it up with one hand.

After my hand was cleaned and bandaged up I decided to stay in the woods for the night and head home the next day. While lying in my hammock trying desperately not to touch my now tender hand i started thinking about my first aid kit.

I came to the following conclusions.
I like the idea of my first aid kit being in a red dry bag which can be hung/clipped on to just about anything and is easy to open with one hand.
Within the dry bag there will be items grouped together and kept in sealable sandwich bags. So if i need to tip the entire first aid kit out onto wet ground nothing bad is going to happen to the items.

I am in the middle of purchasing additional items for my first aid kit and then i plan to act a few scenarios to see how it does and what further improvements i can make.

So when making up your first aid it might be worth taking a few minutes pretending to dress a wound on your hand. Better to have a dry run at home than have a really annoying first aid kit when in the woods alone and in need of some first aid.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
When teaching outdoor first aid I put the students through lots of realistic situations so they have to work with limited resources. There is no substitute for regular practice.

Much better the learn your First Aid Kit is hard to handle when your not leaking.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Good post with common sense, I agree that it is worth knowing the layout of a personal first aid kit. Similar oops moment to your own left me needing to slow a leak on my finger in the dark. The FAK was close by (I was good and set it in entrance to my tent) but once I had it and opened my kit I struggled to remember where the items for blood loss were. In the end as I carry pocket tissues I used these to slow the blood flow, then went into FAK to sort out a better dressing.

If I had understood where everything was I would have never had to apply one dressing (pocket tissues) then remove it.

ATB,
Calurix

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
you have got me thinking!!!! my main kit i expect to be treating other people..so, i pack with gloves on top [bsi] followed by shears/faceshield then into dressings etc
I also always carry a bobo kit ie small cuts blisters etc and tend to use more than anything, hence a seperate kit..never need to go into main kit
i have cut myself and tried you use my bobo kit...but found it difficult to do, with one hand [talking small cuts etc]. but at least you dont ruin the main kit
I think this eye lights a couple of problems
1 even if you know first aid, you may not have the kit with you!! improvisation
2 if you do have the kit, how easy is it to get at...top of rucksack...still takes time[not a bad thing sometimes..dont rush where angels dare to tread]
3 do you really need half the the stuff you carry, can you justify carrying stuff if it takes time to apply it
.....i think that improvisation of the kit you carry is the most important aspect of first aid and survival[do not want to turn into a survival type of thread]
can posters give ideas on the things that can be improvised

Gloves...face mask/ chest sheild
cpr mask/ w/ valve...cheat sheild
bandannna tri bandage

I appologise to the OP if i have taken over this post...mods please remove
regards stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE