Medieval Hike and Camp

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Hi all,

Heres a link to 50 photos taken last weekend when five of us, all 15th century re-enactors, decided to test our equipment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51125010@N02/sets/72157626164492210/

I'm the guy in the blue gown and I wasn't the only one to be carried across the ford! just the last.

Just a couple of tasters if it works.

11 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

25 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

36 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

My kit comprised of:
Clothing worn:
Boots
Gaiters
Hat
Underwear
joined hose
split hose
shirt
sleeveless doublet
doublet
gown
belt
pouch
knife
1ltr costrel

Carried on back on made up frame:
cloak
2 x blankets
2 x canvas sheets, 1 wrapped up blankets and the other wrapped the pack
canvas 'tent'
axe

Scrip bag:
food (wholemeal cob, cheese, ham,apples,oats)
2ltrs of water
fire kit (flint, steel, char cloth and tinder)
personal hygine kit
plate
spoon

Carried group kit:
food bag containing lots of veg, return trip - cauldron

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Excellent :cool: Thank you for the photos :)

How did you find the kit performance ? and what would you change for next time ?

cheers,
Toddy

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for the comments.

Toddy. The kit worked ok. The woollen layers and the walking caused overheating even in that weather, the boots were fine until the second ford needed crossing and I walked through it instead of the trying to find another way and so my feet got wet.

What didn't work was the way we carried stuff and that could be down to the amount taken and the way things were packed. The others used well documented back baskets but the small straps of either leather or rope caused serious discomfort by the end of the trip. I copied Rays makie uppie wooden frame and used rope straps but due to my ineptness with tying down on both days the load shifted on the frame and made things very uncomfortable. All of us recognised to pad the small of our backs against the packs as either the basket or frame seemed to dig in at that point.

The only things I would add, and thats because of the time of year, would have been an extra blanket and an extra pair of dry socks. I had cold feet all night and dried the wet socks between my legs and my hose.

It was very hard work but very enjoyable and we will do it again later in the year.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Great stuff guys, can I ask what a costrel is, I'm presuming it's some kind of billy can ?

Broadly speaking, it's a canteen. I think OP referrred to a leather one but they can be made from any suitable material; earthenware jugs and small wooden kegs with the means for carrying them were not uncommon. Have a look here.

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Shewie/bilmo, mine is an earthenware one from Trinity Court Pottery, but one of the others had leather as well. In fact I'd like to get at some point a 2 litre leather one.

Ron W, we are all members of a larger organisation and they issue kit guidelines based on lots of research of books, paintings and other sources. I've several folders on my laptop of 15th century paintings as a visual reference for my own research. Check out www.larsdatter.com shes just has too much time on her hands, but bless her she's a fantastic source for images.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Amazing! I'd love to try something like this. What part of the world were you in? Bet it makes you really appreciate the modern equipment i.e goretex boots, modern rucksacks etc.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
BB, we were in the north east near the border and boy was I missing my rucksack!!!!!

Salad, it'll probably be in the autumn or winter again as the season is due to start and thats quite hectic.

E

ex member coconino

You say you were plenty warm enough, but did anything really surprise you that worked better that you had expected, or perhaps even better than modern gear? Do you have any plans to give this kit a longer workout?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I wasn't overly suprised with the kit, although I expected blisters from the boots but these were avoided. I was expecting to be colder during the night but apart from my feet it wasn't that bad. My bedding consisted of laying on a canvas ground sheet, half of a 3/4 circle cloak, folded blanket and then covered by another blanket, the other half of the cloak and a light canvas sheet because the melting snow was wicking through the 'waterproof' canvas shelter and I was getting wet :)

All the gear was definatly not lightweight and the large tarp used for the shelter (10m x 5m) was probably double its weight when we walked back. Using modern gear would have made this a gentle bimble with an overnighter thrown in, instead it was challenging!

Apart from a static camp at Warwick Castle this Easter for four days there are no plans for a longer trip although further small jaunts later in the year are on the cards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE