Measuring your torso

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A numpty question but needs must ....

I'm just eyeing up a new lightweight pack at the mo, how do I measure my torso length correctly ?

Is it from the base of my spine up to the base of my neck ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I thought it was from were you neck meets your shoulders -to the top of hips,eg from a line drawn from the the top of left side of hip to the top of right? (thats what i used when buying made to measure battledress during my reenactment days)could be wrong though.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
if you go to costwolds outdoors they have a special frame to put on your back to measure your torso length i was in there today and the rep from lowe alpine was there teaching the staff how to use it and adjust there various rucksacks accordingly ,of course i made myself available as a guineapig and i am a 16" length learnt some interesting stuff regards dave

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I'm nearly 6 foot height yet my torso length is considered small at 16.5 inches (42cm) by all the rucksack manufactuers. It's not like I'm lanky, either, in fact I have a proportional leg to back ratio, or at least I think so?! Is there any way to measure yourself to determine if you are long in the back or legs? I may just go to the local cotswold tomorrow and get measured with the proper tool however I'm sure my reading is accurate because I made my partner repeat it 5 times to be sure.

The proper way to measure is from the biggest bone at the back of the neck to the top of the hips, not the base of the spine!

According to Crux my torso length is too short for even their size 1! I think the manufacturers have got the sizing completely wrong because they explain and even have diagrams showing how to correctly measure the torso yet when describing their sizing designations they use the phrase "back length" not "torso length" which is completely different. I'm confused!

p.s on my lowe alpine civilian ruck and lowe alpine military issue rucksack they both fit me best when the adjustable back system is adjusted to the highest webbing loop, i.e the longest back setting. I'm confused!

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Achht, Shewie.... I got caught up in this when I bought a Golite somethingorother and an Osprey Atmos.... The back measurement had me squarely in the long / size 3. THEY NEVER SAT RIGHT ON ME :( I don't think I would ever want to buy a sac online - try it, fill it up with 'guff' in the shop and buy the one that actually fits rather than what the sizing chart says.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE